QUESTION FOR AVANT OWNERS

Welshquattro

Reaction score
Who has a tailgate lock? I had a completely flat battery this morning(haven't driven it since Christmas) so went to get jump leads out of the boot only to find I don't have a tailgate lock so had to open drivers door on the key and climb though the car to the boot. I've owned the car 11yrs and its only now I found out as I haven't had to open the boot on a key before.

The B6 Avant does have a lock. It's concealed underneath the license plate plinth, on the right of the lamps.

Where? I can't see one

Your car must have an aftermarket license plate plinth, then. All my B6 Avants have had a lock. So have my sedans.

Just checked I'm neighbors avant and that doesn't have one either. The plinth has never been changed as I had the car from its previous owner when the warranty ran out and don't think Audi would fit a after market one and he was a Audi tec

Think it might be like the passenger airbag, some can switch it off where's others can't. I've found a few on eBay that don't have locks both b6 and b7.

Really odd. I've had 3 Avants, and 2 sedans. All 5 have had the lock concealed under the plinth.

Reactions: Welshquattro
Mine doesn't have one, but a couple I went looking at before buying mine did have one.

Interesting to see different variations.

This is mine:

Mine has a lock. Thankfully, as it was the only way to open and lock the boot when the actuator failed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2004 Avant 2.5q sport, no lock on my boot.

If mine didn't have a lock, I would be inclined to install one. It's just an added level of security, just in case you're ever locked out!

If mine didn't have a lock, I would be inclined to install one. It's just an added level of security, just in case you're ever locked out!

I will give Audi a ring in the week for prices on the lock. There are two locks listed, one with its own key and one to match the lock set already on the car. Dread to think of price.

I will give Audi a ring in the week for prices on the lock. There are two locks listed, one with its own key and one to match the lock set already on the car. Dread to think of price.

I would purchase used. Remove the lock, give it to any local key-cutting shop / locksmith, with your key. The tumblers will be set to your key. This would be the cheapest option.

Reactions: @udi A3
I would purchase used. Remove the lock, give it to any local key-cutting shop / locksmith, with your key. The tumblers will be set to your key. This would be the cheapest option.

Didn't know you could do that. Thanks will look into that and also what other parts I'll need.

The owners manual tells me that if I unlock the boot via key and don't open any doors within a set time, the alarm goes off. I think that's right....
So is there any electrical wizardry connected to the lock?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk