1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about road marking added to the end of my drive. (Quite long)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soupie69uk, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 21, 2006]
    Hey folks.

We have had our current neighbour move in about a year ago.

Ever since last year when it was snowy when i had my car on to help deice it etc. I was on the phone at the time and out he comes shouting, swearing etc. As i did get annoyed with him as over the months before i had been coming back from uni and work to find work vans parked over my drive and his. And on another occasion they had people slicing wood on the drive for their new kitchen so my car was covered in wood shavings. But i never said a word about it.

So we have not spoken a word since.

Since them he has built a fence in between the 2 drives which he could only bring to the front of the house line and his even put the wood strip up the remaining stones (see in pic). Then he has just been a general moan really. Like when my mates imprezza broke its gearbox on a sunday night we left the car at mine on the road just in front of the lamp post shown in the picture below.

When the member of the garage came to collect the car he got a earful even though it was nothing to do with him.

So anyway to my question, he must have been on to the council to put in markings and lines as last week they put the KEEP CLEAR sign.

[​IMG]

This doesnt effect me in anyway as i have never blocked this. But yesterday i came home to find this line at the end of my drive.

I am guessing that this is because i sometimes park my car at the end of my drive to wash my car.

Like so.

[​IMG]

The thing is i actually do this just to make sure my hose reaches right round the car and then i am off the drive so i dont spray their bloomin windows!!!

So my question is, it will not be against the law for me to park on this line will it? As it is just blocking my own drive isnt it.

Cheers.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    Wow.... Sorry to read your havin' all this hassle soupie -- some neighbours can be real tw@s sometimes.... anyway as I don't know about road signs - this has been an invaluable reply hasn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif !!!!! It's just to say I hope it gets sorted and I can't for one minute think that the council can stop you parking at the end of your own driveway - I'm guessing it's for other cars (like your mates imprezza)
  4. a3daveo

a3daveo Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    Hi

I work for a local council and have had a bit to do with highways.

The road outside your house looks to be a public highway, if this is the case then the local highway authority can do pretty much what they like as long as it does not impede access to your property. I would phone your local authority and politely tell them you had not been consulted prior to the markings.

I think you will be parking illegally if your on the line as this is the highway your on regardless of the fact its at the bottom of your drive. Your neighbour seems a right tw@t and possibly friendly with someone from the council, as from my experience markings are pretty much left off housing estates apart from in awkward cicumstances.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull but my advice is to contact your local council. Be polite though, people can really be awkward with you if you get your back up.
  5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Feb 21, 2006]
    That's a shitter... good luck with the neighbour from hell.

Just been having a look on the highway code and it doesn't seem to be listed as a valid road marking. I would say you are fine to park infront of your own drive as it's only yourself your blocking keep clear sign or no keep clear sign, I'd also get onto the counsil and ask them why the painted it infront of your property and what they think it means...

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs09.htm
  6. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 21, 2006]
    Yeah i may see if i can get them to remove it for a laugh!!

My mates dad is the Chief Executive of East Lothian Council so i may have a word with him and see what he says.

There have been no signs put up i had a look at the lamp post as i noticed a sign on it but it is just mentioning a drinking in the streets boundary.

Cheers guys.
  7. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    Good luck mate....your neighbour sounds like a total /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif! hope you get the lines removed that would be hilarious!
  8. audi5e

audi5e Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    Doesn't your neighbour have a problem with his tyres going flat? problems with those cheap sidewalls, maybe? perhaps he also has an electrical short in his car wiring that could cause a fire?
  9. MARTIN1234

MARTIN1234 New Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]

Just been having a look on the highway code and it doesn't seem to be listed as a valid road marking. I would say you are fine to park infront of your own drive as it's only yourself your blocking keep clear sign or no keep clear sign, I'd also get onto the counsil and ask them why the painted it infront of your property and what they think it means...

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs09.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a valid road marking. This link shows it
    Road Markings

This link shows all the details and rules for signs and markings. 'The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002'

Best bet would be to contact the council highways department/police to see if a traffic order is in place for it (don't know if its required)
  10. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Feb 21, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a valid road marking. This link shows it
    Road Markings

This link shows all the details and rules for signs and markings. 'The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002'

Best bet would be to contact the council highways department/police to see if a traffic order is in place for it (don't know if its required)

[/ QUOTE ]

Most interesting...top find! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm more than interested in the bits that refer to regulations etc - does that mean they can't be enforced etc. They also use the word "should" which isn't really clear either.
  11. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 21, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't your neighbour have a problem with his tyres going flat? problems with those cheap sidewalls, maybe? perhaps he also has an electrical short in his car wiring that could cause a fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha i have always fancied draining all the oil from the sump of his car!!

Cheers for all the comments guys, its funny because our drive is the only one with the lines out of all 70 odd houses!!

I am going to write to the council and see what the scrip is.
  12. tubtub

tubtub Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    The line extends beyond the driveways to provide a 'visibility splay' however, since nothing will be approaching from the left it seems as though your council has adopted the sledge hammer/nut approach.
    The 'Keep Clear' wording is legit as it's in a turning area though I wouldn't expect to see it unless there were houses on all sides and an excess of parked vehicles.
  13. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Feb 21, 2006]

Bl00dy neighbours! Sorry to hear of the problems.

My garage is seperate from my current house (i'm due to move anytime soon to a new pad woth a double garage and off road parking for 6 cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif yes I chose the garage the wife chose the house) and because of parking problems I had the council lower the kerb outside my house and had a drive way built. You would not believe the amount of people that park across my driveway.

One guy even had a go at me and said he was only staying for half an hour so it was ok to park there, my car would be fine parked in the street. Fortunately I'm a bit of a hefty lump and a few choice words implying the end result would be a sore face and a fast trip to the deck got my point across and his car moved.

J.
  14. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    One guy even had a go at me and said he was only staying for half an hour so it was ok to park there, my car would be fine parked in the street. Fortunately I'm a bit of a hefty lump and a few choice words implying the end result would be a sore face and a fast trip to the deck got my point across and his car moved.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Work J....
    Soupie - I'm sure if you pay his expenses, J would happily come and assist..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  15. benk

benk Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    I'd say the bottom of that lamppost might benefit from a visit from Mr.Dremel, and .. tim-berrr... hello neighbour's house-front.
    He'd have a hard time getting it repaired if the scaffolding truck isn't allowed to park on his shiny new white line...
  16. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    why dont you just paint double yellows or reds down his driveway?
  17. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Feb 21, 2006]
    As god thats quick said you are absolutley entitled to park on the 'keep clear bar marking'. I work in this field and because you are only parking across your own driveway you are abslutely allowed to park on it as you are only obstructing yourself. As long as you don't impede your neighbour noone can give you a ticket or an earfull for parking there. The bar is only advisory and cannot be enforced, it just encourages people not to commit the actual offence of 'obstruction' which you can be done for.

The actual 'Keep clear' writing is again only advisory and cannot be enforced, but you may be deemed to be causeing an obstruction if you park there as that area is obviously designed to be a turning area.

Tell him to stick it!!!

Oh, and the council should have consulted you on this, although it is not compulsary, but they should have done it out of courtesy. It looks like you are in new build area, I would check that the road is even public highway as he could have got any old person to put the line in, and if its private then you probably 'own' up to the middle of the road in front of your house and you can make him remove it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif.
  18. [Feb 21, 2006]
    I too sometimes have problems with the neighbour. When i wash my car, i park it down just beyond the drive on the level, as my drive is quite a steep slope. It just so happens that my neighbours house is lower than the level of the road, and he frequently complains about the water running down his drive! I just respond "Aw well, the laws of gravity!"

I would look into this further if i were you, to see if it is legal for him to have that marking put there. A letter to your local council should turn something up. Good luck!

PS. Nice car bytheway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  19. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 21, 2006]
    I'd be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off if someone put that line outside my house! Surely you can block your own driveway?
  20. myzeneye

myzeneye Member

[Feb 22, 2006]
    i hate gob5hites....
    if your hose pipe reaches the end of your drive then it will deffinaitly reach your neighbours letterbox.....
    post it through when he's at work or out all day and leave it running for a good hours or so.....then cunningly remove it before he returns...
    not only will he have the expense of a flood, but he'll probably call a plumber to find a non existant leak......

ha ha ha....
    more than one way to skin a cat.

you could also paint out your half of the white line with a road couloured tarmac paint, or even go out and paint luminous pokadots all down it......
    i personally would knock his teeth out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif
  21. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 22, 2006]
    Ha i have been tempted many a time but he is a pretty old man and it would be a big shame.

I will contact the council and i will let you know the out come folk.

I will leave my car on the line however during the day!!
  22. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Feb 22, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ha i have been tempted many a time but he is a pretty old man and it would be a big shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...your looking at this all wrong. If he is childish enough to get the line painted he is young enough to take a slap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  23. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 22, 2006]
    Ha ha ha good thinking.
  24. chazzy

chazzy Member

[Feb 22, 2006]
    How annoyed would he be if you parked a large luton type panel van on your drive the next time you go on hols? there must be a local transport/courier outfit nearby who need to free up some yard space.
    I thank my stars both our neighbours are nice,(even if the prev n'bors son did burgle us for his H habit!)

Chas
  25. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[Feb 22, 2006]
    This guy sounds so sad is he retired and works in his garden all day and looks for things to moan about ........I would have it out with him ................../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif arse piece ........

26. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 22, 2006]
    Well my uncle lives very close and has an old merc van which he was working on for a while.

So we parked that right outside his house a few months ago to annoy him. We left it there for about a week. This was after he moaned about my mates Imprezza being there for a night. He called the police but there was nothing they could do as the van was taxed etc.

Update :- I called the council and they have said they will send round to assess how necessary the lines are.

He said they will probably get the lines burned off and will probably add a KEEP CLEAR on the other part of the road as it is a hammer head turning point.

This will be funny as he normally parks his micra on the road by the lamp post.

Cheers.
  27. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Feb 26, 2006]
    So, you washing your car today then Soup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  28. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Guest

[Feb 27, 2006]
    Stop messing about with your childish games, what you need to do is take a S--T in a paper bag then put it on his front door step, then set light to the paper bag, and Knock on his door real loud and run back in doors quietly laughing to yourself, Your neighbour will open his door and see the bag alight and stamp on it to put the flames out thus transfering the S--T to his slippers. Job done.

Word of warning, make sure he is in, and not on holiday, as the last time i played this prank i burnt the bar--ards house down as they where on holiday for two weeks. I didnt know that Vicars go on holiday as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
  29. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 27, 2006]
    Ha ha ha funny.
  30. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Feb 27, 2006]
    I hope they do burn them off, when you come to sell your house in the future, I'm sure it would put off pontential buyers if there looks like there are problems with neighbours or parking etc.
  31. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Feb 27, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope they do burn them off, when you come to sell your house in the future, I'm sure it would put off pontential buyers if there looks like there are problems with neighbours or parking etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to declare any neighbourly disputes at the time of a house sale... it's illegal not to...
  32. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 27, 2006]
    We dont not like the neighbours as such.

Just dont speak to them.

I was thinking the same with the line there as it may look like will be trouble parking.
  33. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[Feb 27, 2006]
    first of all, is it a privately owned street? we have this kinda trouble with one of our neighbours parking across the dropped kurb access to the specifically built disabled bungalow, and the drive which is attached to it.

but because its a rpivate road nothing can be done about it,we've tried talking to the housing company that owns the street and houses, and nothing was done. once we came home from a hospital appointment to find that he'd got friends/relatives over and they'd blocked the drive's acces (this is a 30foot wide dropped kurb access to the drive) to the point where not even my disabled mothers wheelchair would fit past. so we called the police, they came out hours later, once we'd had to carry my mum in her wheelchair up a kurb just to get to her house.

is a sick world that we live in, the police couldnt give two sh1ts what happened because it was 'private land' but then if i'd killed people on this 'private land' it would be their business....
  34. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 27, 2006]
    I dont think its private as in we maintain the road. If you mean though are the houses council houses, no they are all owned privately.

Is just a big housing estate.
  35. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Feb 27, 2006]
    it depends on whether the roads have been adopted, and agreed to be maintained my the Highways department.
  36. tubtub

tubtub Member

[Feb 27, 2006]
    Using the Freedom of Information Act, ask your council how much it cost to have the line and Keep Clear painted on the road. It'll probably be your county council as they're responsible for highways.
    Then, when you've found out, write to your local paper exposing Mr Grumpy next door as responsible for wasting public money and for the council tax going up - the new rates have just been fixed so everyone will hate him....
  37. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Feb 27, 2006]
    Nice one Tub. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  38. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 27, 2006]
    I would start washing the car on the drive and if he's says anything tell him some idiot got someone to paint line at the bottom of the drive and I can't wash my car their a I might get a ticket.
  39. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Guest

[Feb 28, 2006]
    Im sorry but untill you sh-t in a paper bag and set light to it, i think your going to have problems, Try it you know it makes sense
  40. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Feb 28, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Using the Freedom of Information Act, ask your council how much it cost to have the line and Keep Clear painted on the road. It'll probably be your county council as they're responsible for highways.
    Then, when you've found out, write to your local paper exposing Mr Grumpy next door as responsible for wasting public money and for the council tax going up - the new rates have just been fixed so everyone will hate him....

[/ QUOTE ]

Line: £2.16/m

KEEP CLEAR: £8.28/letter

Jesus, I need to get out more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif
  41. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Feb 28, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]

Line: £2.16/m

KEEP CLEAR: £8.28/letter

Jesus, I need to get out more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]