question about airbox outlet with no hose atatched?

jazzyc

Reaction score
on my 1.8T sport (2000 model) i have noticed there is a out pipe that seems to have nothing on it.

I would think it should have a hose connected to it or at least a blank on it.

If you were looking down at the airbox and removed the short piece of black plastic air tube that connects to the top of the box and also to the air scoop located in the front cross member and looked down in the gap you can see it.

will try and get a pic in a min to explain a little further. Just seems odd to have this where unmetered warm air can be sucked in.

any ideas?

ok so here is a pic.

hope this might explain things a little better.

airbox1.jpg

just been through ETKA and i can't find an airbox with a connection there on any model year, strange. have you looked to see if it's actually open. it might be that it's sealed inside.

there'll probably someone along soon with a 1.8T that has more idea

shineydave said:
just been through ETKA and i can't find an airbox with a connection there on any model year, strange. have you looked to see if it's actually open. it might be that it's sealed inside.

there'll probably someone along soon with a 1.8T that has more idea

you can see the top of the air filter if you look through it.

seems odd?

indeed, it's sucking in unfiltered air then but it will be metered as the MAF is downstream. if you can see the filter then i'd suggest that there should be something attached to it. sorry i can't be more help

Nope, nothing on mine either, though it is a 2.8, not a 1.8T, but looks identical to that photo, but without the extra outlet.
That outlet is bypassing the airfilter as it's on the top half of the box, so should definately be connected to something or blocked off, otherwise dirty air will be getting into the engine.

i have just found a pic of the area on a link that was posted about Maf removal and cleaning.
[FONT=&quot]
clip_image001.jpg
[/FONT]

dont know if the pic will show or not but does look like there should be some kind of blank on there.

gonna have to find a way to blank it off untill i can get the right bit.

Fom the pic it looks like it's been added as the plastic doesn't seem to match. Is there any evidence that it's been glued into place?

here is the pic showing what shoud be there. It looks to me like some kind of blank
clip_image001.jpg

AndyMac said:
Fom the pic it looks like it's been added as the plastic doesn't seem to match. Is there any evidence that it's been glued into place?

well i think its standard though i dont know its purpose.

i was doing a search for maf removal and on one of the threads one of the guys had listed a link showing a step by step guide. Thats where i noticed the pic.

Just cant really tell if it is a blank or if there is a hose or something that leads on down towards the bottom of the car?

anyone got access to a parts listing like they have at dealers and could identify it from there?

if you have its a 1.8t-sport 2000 (x) face lift model

Just looked on my 1.8T and I don't have that bit either, though mine is pre-facelift. I don't have anything that looks like the second picture either!

thanks for looking guys

its got to have a purpose though, I mean that pic was from a standard car

I sure someone on here with a face lift 1.8t must have it, just dont know what it is suposed to do.

do you think i am better to blank it off in the meantime rather than leaving it open?

was just looking at the thread where i found the pic. The thread was posted by someone called 'monkeyboy' dont know if he is still on here? Maybe he can help if he still has that motor?

I'd blank it as its going to be drawing unfiltered air in to the engine and thats seriously bad news for the turbo.

Maybe its something to do with the secondary air unit then.

My car is a 2000 and does not have it.

I would try and take your airbox out to see where it goes. I would blank it in the mean time though or cover it with a tight/sock.

secondary air unit? whats that then?

this is where it enters the air box

box2.jpg

I have blanked it off at the moment

my airbox has that hole on it, I think it has something to do with the crankcase ventialtion system, should be a pipe connected to it. However, mine is a 2.4 V6 so not so sure for the 1.8, maybe the top of the air box has been changed at somepoint and the wrong part fitted?

mattpanton said:
my airbox has that hole on it, I think it has something to do with the crankcase ventialtion system, should be a pipe connected to it. However, mine is a 2.4 V6 so not so sure for the 1.8, maybe the top of the air box has been changed at somepoint and the wrong part fitted?

well i guess thats possible but i dont think so. I just think that the blank or hose or whatever it is that should be on there is missing.

i really need someone who has this on there 1.8t to tell me eaxtly what it is and where it goes

the part you require is 058133817h
this pipe goes from the air box down to the secondary air pump which is situated below the air box
if you do not have one it is possible someone has taken it off
but you would normally have an engine management light on.

Hello,

It looks like the secondary air injection unit feed used to have this on my old A4 and i removed it all it does is supply extra air at idle and other things if i remember correctly. The pump will be located under the air box behind the wheel arch and is a ******* to get to etc.

Is the car modified in any particular way? As this is somtimes removed as FMIC wont fit past the pump.