1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quattro tyre depth query

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by JohnboyC, Apr 13, 2010.

1. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

[Apr 13, 2010]
    Hi all....

Should an A4 Quattro have all its tyres at the same depth & should they all be changed at the same time ?

I have depth of 3.5mm on the fronts and 4.5mm on the rears.......all fitted at the same time about 18 months ago.(£600 quid)

What happens if you get a nail in the sidewall....with say all tyres having 4.5mm left on them...and you have to fit a brand new tyre with 8mm on one wheel ?

Just curious...as a bloke in a local (not Audi) garage was saying that it puts excessive strain on the differentials...

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 13, 2010]
    Hi John :icon_thumright:

I've always understood that as long as the tyre's were within 4-5mm of each other you would have no problems. At the end of the day when you go round a corner the wheels all revolve at a slightly different speed anyway. Maybe if all tyres were at 2mm and you fitted one at 8mm it might be pushing your luck, but as long as they are all with 4 or 5 mm you will be fine.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. Rhencullen1989

Rhencullen1989 190 S LINE QUATTRO

[Apr 13, 2010]
    I was in the same position before xmas, 1.8T quattro s-line, in the end i replaced all 4, the fronts had worn badly on the inside edge, mainly due to tracking being out (i had a 4 wheel alignment done by audi main dealer) £600 for 4 235/40/18 goodyear f1 gsd3's. In my opinion you are going to put unnecessary strain on the rear diff by using new tyres on one axle with half worn on the other axle. Within a couple of mm probably ok, but any more i would replace all 4. Any advice from a quattro expert?????
  5. MDA

MDA sploorer

[Apr 15, 2010]
    when i bought mine last year i had a mix of worn tyres on it
    ti used to thump from the rear when pulling away the odd time
    i changed all 4 tyres and the car was totally transformed
    but like others have said
    id say you were well within limits to have one new tyre