quattro transplant

weecough

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how easy or otherwise it is to change a fwd into an awd? I know I could buy a quattro, but the fwd's are mostly in much better condition.

Its not going to happen in a hurry. Way too much work

easiset way would to re shell your 2wd, junk the rear suspension and axle and replace that with quattro.

The floor pan is different from the front seats back.

The floor pan is different from the front seats back

Ahhh, well that would be that then

have a look on audizine its been done a few times

Sure it's possible to do. But first think how much you can get for your car and then how much do you need to add to buy a quattro.
Not worth to mess about with it IMO because cost can be higher than the car.

have a look on audizine its been done a few times

I bet it hasn't.

On a B6 maybe as the floors and mounting points are there already, on the B5, the difference is so huge it would probably be enough to make you have to q plate the car

Yeh its possible on a B6 as they both use the same independent rear suspension, you just need to swap the subframe for a quattro one.

On a B5 the FWD models have a torsion beam, and the quattros have a subframe and independent suspension, so the shape of the rear floorpan is completely different.

I'd imagine the cheapest way you'll achieve it is to buy a scabby early quattro, they come up on ebay for not much more than 500quid for early 2.6 v6 models, less if they're broken in some way. Then swap all the nice bits/engine etc from your FWD into it, assuming of course you already have one. If you dont have any B5 at the moment, then simply buying a quattro straight out is by far the best option, not least because its simply less hassle, and will be much cheaper to insure and whatnot being as its a standard car.

Thanks for the imput. I've been looking at some nice fwd b5's and thought I could maybe switch the gearbox and back axle. Buying a quattro was the first thing that occured to me, but they all seem to have had a right kicking at some point. What's this you say about a b6?

my B5 Quattros in amazing condition for the age and mileage of it

it came with full service history and a tonne of receipts, so its clear the previous owners have looked after it!

sell ya it :p

my B5 Quattros in amazing condition for the age and mileage of it

it came with full service history and a tonne of receipts, so its clear the previous owners have looked after it!

sell ya it :p

Ditto! Apart from the selling bit!