Quattro system ...

sambo

Reaction score
Website
www.entiadesign.com
hi guys,

I have just agreed to buy a 2000/x black a4 avant quattro sport 1.8 turbo (yippie! ... humm! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif) ...

anyhow, can anyone tell me the type of quattro system used, things to watch out for on my pre purchase test drive/inspection, and anything else really - not had a 4x4 car before so want to learn all about it.

thanks in advance.

Sambo

The type of quattro system used? Do you mean Torsion / Halex?

The answer is Torsion. Haldex is limited to A3/TT.

Nice car, same as mine except mine's the saloon. Just make sure it's been serviced regular and it it's done over 70K Miles you may want to ensure the cam belt service has been done.

well, it's a Quattro, in-line engine... Yep, it's a Torsen-system.

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Now I just need to find out about the Torsen-system! Might have a search on the web later.

I am a believer in fate! but not wishing to tempt it, the car has fsh, had one cam-belt change (but I am getting it done again before sale - had one go on me recently in another car while doing 80 in the outside lane of m-way .. great!) ... have also been investigating the control arm situation. According to Audi records, it is not due for any recall at the moment. But did you know that, apparently, you can check that the recall has been done by checking in the boot for a sticker near the spare wheel, that should have the dealer code and 40g4 stamped or written on it (at least in the UK).

I have not historically had the best luck with cars, so am hoping that this one will break the mould! ... roll on Friday!

So there are no particular tests I can do to access the state of the quattro system? - hill start, full lock pull-away, gear wine whilst coasting, tyre wear indications (I have heard that wheel alignement is v important?), any particular servicing of the system to look for in the history? ... dunno, just trying to think of anything - cause once it is there in front of me I might easily be seduced into buying a good looking lemon!

The quattro system is prob one of the only area that is total bulit proof and very rear to go wrong.

The car would full apart before the quattro would give way.

Thanks for the links.
I have learnt a lot! ... good news about that being the most robust system ... fingers crossed it is a bullit-proof as suggested.
On test the cars are very neutral in the handling, which is quite strange feeling at first ... gives a lot of confidence though ...
The plan is to take the car up to the mountains, so I hope it will be good in the snow. Do people still use chains? or are they not so required? ...