Quattro, S-Tronic and automatic tunnel car wash

danilotto

Reaction score
A big, ugly and polluted south-Europe city
Hi all,

Just a quick question. Is there any problem washing my S3 S-Tronic in an automatic tunnel with that kind of drum conveyor belt that push your car forward through the tunnel pushing on the back of the tire?

I read on the instruction manual that the car be towed in Neutral position only for a brief amount of time.
So my question is:

If it is possible does the engine must be left running? On my BMW RWD and automatic transmission (torque converter) I put the gearbox in neutral and switched off the engine. Is the same here?

Many thanks

Leave the engine running and put it in neutral.

Reactions: danilotto
I don't see that it'd be any worse than towing it "for a brief amount of time".

Personally I'd not put a £32000 car through any kind of automatic car wash.

Reactions: pat15312, steeve, PilotAudi and 2 others
I can't believe anyone would put such a car through one of those. :undwech:

Reactions: jakmorg, PilotAudi and danilotto
I'd like to have my car washed and dried by a couple of big bo**ed girls but unfortunately I live in a hurry :shrug:

The other option is the the automatic car wash where the brushes are moving and not the car lol.

Here is the big clue.
The gears are still spinning in the gearbox despite it being in neutral as they are driven by the engine, there is also an oil pump in the auto gearbox that is driven by these spinning gears, turn off the engine you turn off the oil pump.

Normally a car being towed is either because the engine or gearbox has died. Not a problem with a manual box, but with an auto, no drive from the engine means no oil pump spinning in the gearbox.

Reactions: warren_S5, RossR and danilotto
The cheap hand car washes are not much better. They often store their sponge on the ground, then rub grit all over your paint work.

Reactions: Belfin
Hi all,

Just a quick question. Is there any problem washing my S3 S-Tronic in an automatic tunnel with that kind of drum conveyor belt that push your car forward through the tunnel pushing on the back of the tire?

I read on the instruction manual that the car be towed in Neutral position only for a brief amount of time.
So my question is:

If it is possible does the engine must be left running? On my BMW RWD and automatic transmission (torque converter) I put the gearbox in neutral and switched off the engine. Is the same here?

Many thanks

That's is what I do with mine with s-tronic and have done for the last two cars. S-tronic in Neutral, handbrake off and engine off. With my new 8V I will also have to remember to switch the Hold Assist off as well.

My Audi dealer has a car wash which seems pretty good with appropriately soft brushes and filters etc BUT I prefer the two bucket method using my single bucket.

Maybe there's a relationship between those who can't be bothered with clutches also can't be bothered with DIY hand washing and detailing.

My Audi dealer has a car wash which seems pretty good with appropriately soft brushes and filters etc BUT I prefer the two bucket method using my single bucket.

Maybe there's a relationship between those who can't be bothered with clutches also can't be bothered with DIY hand washing and detailing.

And I wonder who that comment might be aimed at. I have washed my own car by hand for 48 years but I am no longer physically able to bend my legs enough to do it, so rather than drive round in a dirty car, I use a tunnel type car wash, which actually make a very good job. Full pressure wash of car and wheels before going through the wash and dry tunnel. In true German style, where is it illegal to wash you car in other than a specially designated area using either a car wash or pressure washers.

Oh for F**k sake you two, can't you just let one thread run its course on topic with out you both having a dig at each other?

Reactions: J6YAK, Silky-S3, jakmorg and 7 others
Thanks Sidi.. My question is a genuine one. It seems many folks with Automatic cars have them washed or take them to a car wash.. On a sample around here.. us DIY, Q3 manual DIY, S5 Auto has a man come and do it, Merc Auto Car wash, Porsche Auto car wash, Suburu manual DIY. It seems those with autos on my limited sample are carwash people manuals DIY. My question was not intended as a 'dig' at anyone despite Dave jumping on my post! Sorry!

And sorry Dave that you can no longer DIY car wash, and sorry anyone else who can't drive a manual car!

Thanks Sidi.. My question is a genuine one. It seems many folks with Automatic cars have them washed or take them to a car wash.. On a sample around here.. us DIY, Q3 manual DIY, S5 Auto has a man come and do it, Merc Auto Car wash, Porsche Auto car wash, Suburu manual DIY. It seems those with autos on my limited sample are carwash people manuals DIY. My question was not intended as a 'dig' at anyone despite Dave jumping on my post! Sorry!

And sorry Dave that you can no longer DIY car wash, and sorry anyone else who can't drive a manual car!

I'm worried now - I've got auto and hand detail (3 hours every Saturday or Sunday). Where does this leave me? Lol.

Keeping on thread - the S3 is not for automatic car washes in my opinion.

I'm worried now - I've got auto and hand detail (3 hours every Saturday or Sunday). Where does this leave me? Lol.

I'm sure you're fine! Just seems the Auto guys around here don't like getting messy ( but a very small sample for any statistical validity) we have all commented on and laughed about it . The S5 auto guy does get his wife's TT cleaned by the valet man too!

Reactions: Pulp84
S-tronic here and I always hand wash/wax the car. Wouldn't even put my van thru a car wash

The cash wash method I'd be most likely to steer clear of is the supermarket / multi story car park cleaners. I've never seen one of these folk using a clean bucket of water or well soaped water ever. Toss up between hand car wash and machine wash, our local polish car wash actually uses a pre-wash decontamination spray before jet washing then washing, but when I did use them once I asked them not to dry it as they were using silicone blades. Conflict I have is that whilst I love a clean car the process of cleaning cars delivers very short term results for the effort I invest and I've got better things I'd rather be doing. Two big cleans a year, then fortnightly 2 bucket at pace!

Even though I am mobile enough to hand wash both my cars I can see why, to the less mobile, a automatic car wash, or someone else washing the car, is the only alternative. I don't think we should knock those who are less physically active as there will come a time for all of us when we cannot wash our own cars.

The cash wash method I'd be most likely to steer clear of is the supermarket / multi story car park cleaners. I've never seen one of these folk using a clean bucket of water or well soaped water ever. Toss up between hand car wash and machine wash, our local polish car wash actually uses a pre-wash decontamination spray before jet washing then washing, but when I did use them once I asked them not to dry it as they were using silicone blades. Conflict I have is that whilst I love a clean car the process of cleaning cars delivers very short term results for the effort I invest and I've got better things I'd rather be doing. Two big cleans a year, then fortnightly 2 bucket at pace!

Agree but I use one bucket swill and re-use!

S-tronic, cycle of approx. 2 handwashes - 1 machine wash (standstill car, moving brushes, lots of water, no scratches)

Hi all,

So my question is:

Many thanks

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Please don't put your nice sparkly (well nearly sparkly) car through any sort of automated wash. Honestly unless its got bird carp on you're better off not washing it.

This was my 6 month old BMW demo car being detailed after numerous auto car washes.

White Details: BMW 335d Tourer

I bought the car without seeing it in the flesh. Paintwork was dull and had no oomph to it. Fortunately Jim got is sparkly again. Never again will I use an auto car wash or let those muppets in a car park touch any car worth a little money. Two bucket wash method with a nice lambswool mitt and dried with a towel softer than the one I use on myself!!!!

Reactions: J6YAK
Even though I am mobile enough to hand wash both my cars I can see why, to the less mobile, a automatic car wash, or someone else washing the car, is the only alternative. I don't think we should knock those who are less physically active as there will come a time for all of us when we cannot wash our own cars.

Thanks 'cuke2u'. Perhaps someone who thinks it's such a sin to put a new A3 Sportback through a car wash would like to pop round at weekends and wash my car for me.

Reactions: rams_s3
5 hour round trip for me Dave so I'll have to pass.

I actually hate cleaning cars, it's not a pleasurable activity, especially once you get below the trim line. I'd rather bust my **** on my bike than clean a car, black cars look great when they're clean, but they do not look good for many minutes!

I've just been arranging with my detailer to do 6 week top up washes on the new car as I'm only going to touch it if it gets really bad (or shat on)

Thanks 'cuke2u'. Perhaps someone who thinks it's such a sin to put a new A3 Sportback through a car wash would like to pop round at weekends and wash my car for me.

You're welcome. I guess this weekend there'll be queues of cars leading into car washes because of the 'sahara' effect. I for one, like many more able people, will be out there washing away the sand from both cars. Although the rain on sunday might work. Still, with my irreversible health issues, I know I will be suffering later...

I ****** love washing cars, I could honestly do it for a living if it paid enough!

Reactions: JohnM100, amped2 and PilotAudi
Happiness is a warm soapy mitt ;-)

Reactions: amped2, PilotAudi, RossR and 1 other person
Back to the question asked...

The difference is one of speed. When you are being towed the speed differential between the front and rear axels is 30mph+, with all the gearbox friction that implies. In a chain conveyor car wash the speed difference is 1mph if you're lucky. I can't see it causing any damage to your Haldex unit. And leave the engine off, you don't want to gas the car behind you!

5 hour round trip for me Dave so I'll have to pass.

I actually hate cleaning cars, it's not a pleasurable activity, especially once you get below the trim line. I'd rather bust my **** on my bike than clean a car, black cars look great when they're clean, but they do not look good for many minutes!

I've just been arranging with my detailer to do 6 week top up washes on the new car as I'm only going to touch it if it gets really bad (or shat on)

Thanks Warren - A long way for a car wash :)

Hopefully when I get my new A3 I will be able to give the car a coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish and my kind wife will do the wheels for me. I find this helps with the washes and we try and do it both our Audi's (a1 and A3) every six months. It has worked fine for the lasts few cars we've had and will continue to do this long as we can.

The other thing that did concern me a little was whether I would be able to get in the positions necessary inside the car to run a 12v feed from the fuse box to the other side of the car for the hidden wiring for my TomTom. I've managed it in the past but I'm not so flexible these days. But when I spoke to the dealers yesterday they said they would do it for me as part of the PDI. They did say it was quite straight forward and the master tech I was talking to said he had done it many times including on his own Audi. So one less thing to worry about.

Reactions: warren_S5
You're welcome. I guess this weekend there'll be queues of cars leading into car washes because of the 'sahara' effect. I for one, like many more able people, will be out there washing away the sand from both cars. Although the rain on sunday might work. Still, with my irreversible health issues, I know I will be suffering later...

I can remembered a couple of years ago driving back across France from two weeks holiday in Germany. The first part of the journey across Germany was warm and sunny and by the time we were half way across France the front of the car was covered in insects. I'd had to stop several times to clean them off the screen. But then we ran into a thunderstorm which only lasted about 10 minutes and then the sun came out again. When I next stopped to refuel, all the insects on the front of the car had gone and it was all clean again. A bit like driving through a very large pressure washers :)

Unfortunately I don't think it'll rain hard enough on Sunday to act like a pressure washer....

Unfortunately I don't think it'll rain hard enough on Sunday to act like a pressure washer....

Knowing this country it will have a ****** good go. If this country gets wetter than it has been in the last 12 months I'm seriously considering moving abroad.

Reactions: cuke2u
Knowing this country it will have a ****** good go. If this country gets wetter than it has been in the last 12 months I'm seriously considering moving abroad.

I think the fact that I was driving at 80-90 mph may have made some difference!!!

Reactions: cuke2u
These few days - its been more of a case of free sandblasting on the front of your car when following traffic !!

There's that much ****** sand on the roads!

Slightly off topic but funny in a cringeworthy kind if way... Couple of days ago I saw a black 63 plate TT being refuelled by a bloke while his blonde partner 'helpfully'?!!.. was wiping the dreaded red dust off the bonnet with a dry paper towel from the dispenser, in big swirly motions!!!!...