Quattro reliability..

marcuswomersley

Reaction score
Im considering purchasing an A4 avant 1.9tdi sport quattro. The car has a beautiful spec, however the mileage is at 140,000. I have concerns with the differentials and gearbox of the quattro system, Can anybody state and issues and common faults that may occur at high mileage? It would be a great help as I am nervous of purchasing such a high mileage car, but it would be a shame to miss this car, and i cant really afford a low mileage diesel. Thanks

quattro's use the old style torsen diffs rather than any fancy electronics, hence they are pretty much bomb proof, gearboxes should be good as well, would recommend changing the oil if it hasn't been done, my QS has 115K on it and there are plenty of other people running cars well into 150K plus with no issues.... if the car has been chipped the only weak pint is clutch/flywheel.....

I'm sure that some of them must have failed over the years, but it's not a common fault as far as I know.

My own car is on 147000 and fingers crossed the gearbox/quattro drivetrain are fine.

Of all the things to worry about on a high mileage A4 B6, I would think the quattro drivetrain is way down the list! :icon_thumright:

+ 1. From everything i have ever read the quattro system just keeps going and going.

i bought a 2.5 quattro 2001 with 158407 on it still pulling perfecly m8 wouldnt change it for the world

138k on a 2.5TDI, still going strong here...

Just check there's no juddering as you pull off (apparently that can indicate drivetrain probs).

Even if it's been chipped AND driven carelessly, it'll be the clutch that goes NOT the quattro... and the clutch is more likely to go than on a FWD because you don't get wheelspin and as such the clutch is very much the weak point between a solid torquey engine and VERY solid traction.

Only serious quattro probs i've heard of is when peopel have run them long-term on different spec tyres/wheels... and where it's been towed badly (I can't remmeber the details, but essentially if you need to move one; you're best off just lifting and shifting a quattro, not towing it).