1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quattro power distribution

JamesA3 Mar 27, 2004

1. JamesA3

JamesA3 Member

Does the quattro system deliver even power to all wheels, I know the 911 turbo has a major bias to the rear wheels and I wondered how the quattro delivers power

2. Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher Member

From what I've "heard" its the same for the S3. I think the split is 40/60 (R/F). But don't quote me on that.

3. Hopsta

Hopsta Member

I thought it was prodominately 100% FWD until it sensed slippping then it can transfer upto 50% to the rears.

4. Drill

Drill Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Hopsta said:
    I thought it was prodominately 100% FWD until it sensed slippping then it can transfer upto 50% to the rears.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe you've got it Hopsta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IIRC the Haldex "System" is designed to allow from 99:1 all the way to 1:99, however Audi programs their's as such. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I think the idea was to allow AWD, yet still provide for good mileage and lessen mechanical wear.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

5. Hopsta

Hopsta Member

6. yak

yak Member

mm, isn't newer Quattros all-time AWDs, while there were produced some older-Quattros with haldex system also. At least Audi keeps marketing their solution all-time AWD, instead of part-time.

- Yak

7. Drill

Drill Member

Yak, what I think they mean by all-time AWD is that the system is always active and transparent to the driver, as opposed to 4WD systems where it needs to be selected, either by a shifter, or a button. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif