1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quattro Info

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Ewok, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ewok

Ewok Member

Hi all,

I have just got myself a 2000 1.8T Quattro Avant (BIG smile!) and was wondering if you guys could give me a bit of info about the quattro system.

I know it is permanent 4wd but does it still go through a viscous coupling?

I only ask because when pulling away in 1st it feels like the front leads off, then about 1-2seconds later there is a slight kick from the back as if it comes in later.

The car is still in warrenty and I am taking it to an audi specailist I know just to have a look over it for any major faults before it runs out and I would like to know a bit more about the system before I go.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dummi

dummi smoking a6

viscous? no not sure where you got that idea.. its an open diff letting front to rear drive speeds change

4. Ewok

Ewok Member

Righto.............so it is a mechanical linkage, I was just going off what a guy I work with was saying.

Thanks for the quick reply, any other info would be great.

5. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!
    VCDS Map User

My audi S4 has this little clunk a sec or later.......is this a fault with the quattro or is it normal???

dan

6. Adams3

Adams3 Member

I think that is just the haldex shifting power towards the rear, apparently under normal driving a haldex quattro will primarily use just the front but when on hard acceleration or cornering aggresively it will shift some power to the rears!! IIRC anyway!!

7. madvw

madvw Active Member

All quattro's apart from a3's and TT's use the torsen permanent helical gear quattro.

don't know about the noise though.. could it be the torsen taking up the slack?

8. Ewok

Ewok Member

I found a good site that explains the quattro system and what car has which system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro

On the A6 it is a torsen system with an EDL on mine (2000 / X-reg).

I was also wondering if it was the system taking up slack or maybe the EDL shifting the power around.

9. dummi

dummi smoking a6

i don't know if you have ESP on yours does that make a difference? i find the car is much less aggressive and perhaps weak with it on which is fine for long distance but in the city i always like the response from the car when its off.