Quattro/Haldex: Single Tyre Replacment?

AL_B

Reaction score
I got a punture a few weeks back, and it was on the curve of the tyre. The guys that repaired it said that because it was on the curve, it might not hold the pressure. Anyway, they were right and the tyre is loosing pressure.

So, replacing a single tyre on a Quattro car, should it be done or should it not?

Reading the owners manual of my S3, it states (not the exact text):

- Tyres should be of the same brand and tread pattern
- Tyres should be replaced in pairs, so as to keep the rolling circumference the same

I decided to check this with my Audi dealer (Audi Macclesfield) and they've said the advice about replacing in pairs to maintain the same circumference is no longer the case. That recommendation has been removed from their system.

Just wanted to check if anyone else has been told this from other Audi dealers?

Cheers

AL

:yes: hahaha.

But its been an expsnsive year for the S3: 4 new tyres, extended Warranty renewal, tax, insurance, major service, haldex oil change, cambelt. Funds are low!

If you already have 4 newbies just buy one! It will be fine just buy the same brand

From reading this discussion a few times before, I think the consensus is that a few mm difference will not affect the Haldex.

There is a name from the past, How are you Al? I still have that hand made keyring somewhere, although its a bit scruffy from 10+ years of S3's

If its within a couple of mm, I wouldnt bother with a pair, easpecially if Audi also endorse it.