1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quattro f/r power split

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by a4quat, Aug 11, 2006.

1. a4quat

a4quat Member

i have a 1.8t quattro i was wondering if there is a power split front/rear (i.e. 60/40 etc) and does my car have esp or anything similar?:readit:

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. dummi

dummi smoking a6

b5 has 2:1 maximum split as needed to front or back.

easy way to tell if you have ASR or ESP is if you have a button for it on the centre console, ESP came on 1999< IIRC

4. a4quat

a4quat Member

no button:unhappy:

5. dummi

dummi smoking a6

its not a bad thing you don't have it, i have ESP and always switch it off unless i'm on the motorway long distance, it makes the accelerator throttle position feel very non-linear in traffic its not ideal and on the motorway maybe reduces the enthusiastic driving... quattro is a very good system particular on the b5< i doubt you'll miss ESP

6. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Mine doesnt have esp but i thought the split was 50/50 on the proper quattro's unlike the S3, TT etc which has like a fwd system but goes to 4wd when needed.

7. dummi

dummi smoking a6

your right soupie it is permanent unlike a3, s3, tt

but a4 uses a torque splitting differential in the centre giving a max of 2:1 to front or rear according to the circumstances.

an interesting note on the system is such with open diff at front and back that if one front wheel and one rear wheel is off the ground or can't put any torque down the car wont be able to put any torque down to the road it will all be lost in the diffs