Quattro comparison to 2WD

Reaction score
I have driven the new A3 front wheel drive, but have ordered the Quattro version, which I have not driven. Is there anyone out there who has tried both and can tell me if there is a discernible difference in either the handling or feel of the Quattro version?

I have driven an A3 Sport 2.00 TDI 150, and the A3 S-line 2.00 TDI 184 Quattro S-tronic, the quattro is more grounded, given grip when needed, and seems to me to be more sure footed. I drove them both on a dry day, the front wheel drive seemed the same as any other normal car with front wheel drive eg. Mk7 golf gt, but the Quattro was something special.

I would agree with that. Also bear in mind that it isn't true 4WD, becuase it uses the Haldex system. Still its def more grounded and sure footed than the 2WD. Made a difference in the snow for me in Jan/Feb, when I was chuckling at all the BMW drivers sliding everywhere..

How much difference with regards to performance was there between the 184 and the 150?

The key difference I'd be interested in is time from 40 to 70. That's where you really want the extra power.

Yeah was interested in in-gear performance rather than 0-60 etc.

You feel the benefits of Quattro when being able to pull out of a wet Junction, quickly and safely.