Quattro Bits...

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Is it possible to retrofit the quattro bits (torsen mechanical unit) to the fwd 1.8t???

could be wrong but I don't think the shells are the same, the quattro has recessed areas shaped into the underside to fit drivetrain, suspension, fuel tank and exhaust

I guess in theory anything is possible with enough time/money. The cost of this would be enormous though. As well as modifying the shell, you'd need a new gearbox, rear diff, propshafts, rear drive shafts, hubs etc etc. Sell your car and buy a Quattro if you want one that badly - much easier and cheaper.

Never build a car you can buy.

There was a guy in the US did a 4motion conversion on a Bora to make an R32 Bora. I think he just had to change the boot floor as it's higher in Quattro/4motion cars. I believe everything else is there but you'd really have to get the bits cheap to make it worthwhile.

The R32 boot floor thingy is to house the huge Haldex unit, I thought that Audi would probably fabricate all b6 shells the same, as it makes manufacturing and economical sense, then leave off the bits not required.

As the Torsen is purely mechanical and self contained, it might have been simple to fit as a retro. The b5 and b6 versions dont even have the stupid torque split switch so need no in car control at all.....you would (if the shell was the same) only need the torsen centre diff, propshaft and rear axle?

The R32 boot floor thingy is to house the huge Haldex unit, I thought that Audi would probably fabricate all b6 shells the same, as it makes manufacturing and economical sense, then leave off the bits not required.

As the Torsen is purely mechanical and self contained, it might have been simple to fit as a retro. The b5 and b6 versions dont even have the stupid torque split switch so need no in car control at all.....you would (if the shell was the same) only need the torsen centre diff, propshaft and rear axle?

Nope, pretty sure the B6 Quattros have a higher boot floor or a shallow wheel well for only a space saver spare.

The Audi Torsen Diff is just behind the engine, not at the back wheels. The rear axle is like a rwd axle, it shouldn't protrude into the boot floor.

The golf haldex system is a very large unit mounted above the rear axle, hence the boot floor problem for them.

A Torsen unit is quite small and cylindrical, weighing only several lbs according to Torsen's website.

Anyone with a b6 quattro able to check the spare wheel for me and see if its full size wheel-well or shallow? Mines a big one :)

My B6 avant has a full size spare wheel.
Apparently the fuel tank is different also..shaped like a sadddle......

Mike.

the fuel tank is different on a quattro. i noticed in the code,ing on the control module a couple of weeks ago, and it has 2 x senders for the fuel guage

ah, ok. Worth a try. I couldnt get the car i wanted in a quattro at the time, specific colour etc so went for the fwd, but traction isnt great wi the 163 so when i get it remapped to 205 it will be worse :(