1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad exhausts from powerflow??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Defratos, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Jan 9, 2006]
    Hey guys, just wanted to see what your comments are on Powerflow exhausts? any one tried them? I went to check them out today after trying to hunt down the Milltek quad exhaust from anywhere but seems like no one has any and Milltek stop manufacturing them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The theory on getting the dual exits on the car is to have two back boxes, with two pipes that go into 1 at a "V" intersection and back up to the rest of the exhaust. The reason for this is because I can't get hold of any back boxes that fit horizontal like the standard exhausts, any help, comments or criticisms would be much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. amb276s3

amb276s3 bird spotter

[Jan 9, 2006]
    I tried to source the milltek quad exit rear box, milltek wanted around a grand just for the rear box, tried to organize a group buy through AMD but not enough interest from the forum even at around half as much, so gave up in the end. Will be interested to see how you get on.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 9, 2006]
    It really depends on the Engineer/fitter of the Powerflow outlet, the exhausts are usually made with your car sitting on a ramp, and it has a lifetime garauntee, so if you are not happy, take it back, and they will correct it.
  5. Defratos

[Jan 9, 2006]
    Yeah I've tried to check them out on the net and most people say they're good exhausts but depends on the fitter/welder so I'm confident I've gotten that right (I hope). I'll post pics on when its done but do any of you have any advice on the twin back boxes? as apposed to a single with twin outlets?
  6. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jan 9, 2006]
    have they given you a quote yet? if it wasn't for the vast quantities of cash It looks like I'm going to have to give AmD on Wednesday I'd be up for it too assuming the price is right.

I've seen other cars (I think it was a TT) where the backbox is across the back then there the pipes both come out one end of the box... one goes straight out the back and the other loops back over to the other side and out the back, that could be a solution for this, depends what works out cheaper I guess.
  7. Defratos

[Jan 9, 2006]
    I've been quoted around £650 for everything including body work and labour etc.. What are you going to AMD for? fitting exhausts of somethin else?
  8. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Jan 9, 2006]
    I take it a TT exhaust wouldnt fit then. How about A4 dual pipe back box?

Matt
  9. Defratos

[Jan 9, 2006]
    Now you see I would have expected an audi TT one to fit, but according to one of the mechanics it wouldn't. Not sure about the A4 dual pipe back box, not sure how it looks, but would anyone say performance wise its better to have one box over two individual ones?
  10. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 10, 2006]
    Interesting, so would an R32 back box fit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
  11. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    lol, an R32 one would probably fit the area, not sure about clamping it on, and not sure about the quad tips either, not sure if you can take out the existing outlets and replace them with quad outlets.
  12. god_thats_quick

[Jan 10, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've been quoted around £650 for everything including body work and labour etc.. What are you going to AMD for? fitting exhausts of somethin else?

[/ QUOTE ]

My car needs a service, brake fluid change, Haldex change, I want an engine mount fitted, 4 wheel allignment and a very annoying rattle so god only knows how much that'll end up costing. Oh and an MOT the same day - and bless them my company has said I can't work from AmD that day so I'll have to take the bloody day off which means no pay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif
  13. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 10, 2006]
    Anything can be done.... Im sure the R32 would fit... Then you just need to get different tailpipes welded on if thats what you want.
  14. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    You're probably right Rich, but would you say it'll sound similar to the R32? and more importantly would you say having the single R32 backbox is better than having two individual ones for each outlet? performance wise I mean?
  15. RichA3Turbo

[Jan 10, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're probably right Rich, but would you say it'll sound similar to the R32? and more importantly would you say having the single R32 backbox is better than having two individual ones for each outlet? performance wise I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been proven that the exhaust makes little to no difference in performance, so id say its of little consequence... It will sound nothing like the R32...a lack of 2 cylinders!
  16. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    Here are some pics I took with my phone of one of the back boxes with the tip. There will be two of these, one on each side with individual pipes that connect up to one in a V intersection back up the exhaust. What comments can you guys give me with the pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[Jan 10, 2006]
    mike from jabba has a tt rear box on his a3 q,was a pain to fit apparently.
  18. mattyboy199

[Jan 10, 2006]
    I ve also heard that messing about with the exhaust system may effect back pressure, leading to not major but power losses.
  19. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    wow didn't know there was one with a TT box, I've also heard their a pain (actually I was told it just wouldn't fit). As for back pressure it might do somethin not sure what but hopin for the best in that area. But what would u guys say about the set up of this system because I'm gettin it done pretty soon and I'm 100% convinced I want to go ahead with it, so any comments will be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  20. mattyboy199

[Jan 10, 2006]
    i personnelly think that quad systems look a little over the top but each to thete own.

Matt
  21. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    Fair enough guys I understand that some like it and some just hate it and it's understandable, but no one's really answeard my question: How does the setup seem and how what difference would it make to the car with this sort of setup as apposed to a single back box?
  22. god_thats_quick

[Jan 10, 2006]
    I think it would be fine, if the main pipes are suitablely big, the two parallel back boxes should be no problem in my opinion (if they are as restrictive as the standard they should be roughly half as restrictive if there are two in parallel). I doubt there will be any power gains - I'd hope there'd be a better noise than standard (less dyson) and I think it'd balance up the look of the rear.

Let us know how you get on.

On another note - don't suppose anyone has a loud / quiet milltek or a supersprint on an S3 they'd care to demo to me noise wise in the Reading ish area for a pint?
  23. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    lol Cheers Dude, seems like you're one of those who likes this type of exhaust, wohoo. Thanks for the brief note on the back boxes, and I'm quite sure they're not as restrictive as the old, but I'll let u guys know how it goes on, I'll post some pics and sound clips if I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  24. god_thats_quick

[Jan 10, 2006]
    I would have thought if powerflow make them for the car they should be able to advise? Were they no help?

I remember seeing a black S3 at a pub car park in Bracknell a long time ago with what I assume was the milltek M3 style jobbie - looked very good!
  25. Defratos

[Jan 10, 2006]
    No the guys at the garage were very helpful, I just wanted to get different feedbacks so I can make my choice. I love the Milltek M3 style exhaust and tried everything to get it, or even one similar but with no luck. I can always try to shove a TT one in there but if I'm going to do that might as well get something different if not unique?
  26. god_thats_quick

[Jan 10, 2006]
    Well a TT one won't have twin exits each side and will have all the funny bypass rubbish to deal with so I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle of that, I'd been thinking after all the bad press on the standard milltek fitting on here, I'd go for a stainless custom when I had the money or the supersprint system.
  27. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 10, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well a TT one won't have twin exits each side and will have all the funny bypass rubbish to deal with so I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle of that, I'd been thinking after all the bad press on the standard milltek fitting on here, I'd go for a stainless custom when I had the money or the supersprint system.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the sebring one? Very good quality...

Just an option..
  28. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Jan 10, 2006]
    TBH I think the quad pipes would look rather chav'ish.

Is the car running an engine that requires so many exhausts?

Here's a picture for you:

[​IMG]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif
  29. Defratos

[Jan 11, 2006]
    that is a bit too much and I would agree, but A: I'm leaving the standard rear bumper, B: I'm not getting those tips, C: mine won't be positioned the same, I'm thinking more along the lines of....:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everyone to his own taste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  30. mazzy

mazzy Member

[Jan 11, 2006]
    as far as exhausts go, try www.mijperformance.com, i maintain and do alot of the web related work & i must admit they are very good. I'll be getting a system on my car possibly in the nxt few weeks. So i will post pics. mention me "Mazzy" get ur discount.

I will be speaking to them 2moro and confirming that they are to look after audi-sport members. I was gona put up a post earlier but i thougth i'd get my exhaust 1st seeing that i aint done much 2 my car. They custom build how you like it to be and as loud as u like which i would not recommend (cheap) lol... Will be setting up groupbuys etc in the future. Lets just get mine done 1st then i can give u all feedback.

Mazzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
  31. god_thats_quick

[Jan 11, 2006]
    The black S3 without the horrible trims around it and the stupid graphics would look just like the one I saw (M3 style), and they do look good IMO everyone just seems to go over the top, which granted 4 exhausts is a little anyway but hey.
  32. RichA3Turbo

[Jan 11, 2006]
    Yellow one looks best IMO... But whats with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif*n awful lights! I personally think 4 pipes is OTT... If you want 1 per side, how about 2 nice fat ovals instead... I tink they look better.

Rich
  33. mattyboy199

[Jan 11, 2006]
    I think the A4 style ones would look perfect. Defo tie with the whole Audi dual pipe routine they seem to do, but i do prefer subtle styling.
  34. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Jan 11, 2006]
    I would perhaps shop around as the quality of the stainless steel that powerflow uses isn't always up to scratch IMO.
  35. mattyboy199

[Jan 11, 2006]
    I have also heard stories of poor quaility steel by powerflow

post the question @ www.corsasport.co.uk i know a fair few people there have had problems.
  36. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Jan 11, 2006]
  37. colinra

colinra Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 11, 2006]
    I've had a powerflow twin exit on a previous car. They made it to my spec and it had a lifetime warranty.

After about six months on scottish winter roads it went all rusty underneath the car (the tail pipes were fine cause I washed them at the same time as the car). It never rusted to the point of blowing for the next two years I kept the car though.

One thing to note is that in order to keep the waranty valid, it has to be inspected every year by the fitter.

I personally would get an off the shelf aftermarket replacement for my s3, and only if the standard one fell off. IMO the s3 doesn't need a different exaust. audi got it right at the factory.
  38. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

[Jan 12, 2006]
    Yeah the black S3 looks good!