1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qts clutch swap

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Chriscooke, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

While out for a bit of a spirited drive earlier I noticed that my clutch is starting to slip under acceleration so I guess I'll have to get this replaced soon :(

How much work is involved to swap the clutch, I imagine its an utter ball ache due to the Quattro:(

I'm thinking an oem spec clutch will do the job for me unless there are uprated items for roughly the same price available? I doubt I'll do more than get the car remapped/chipped so don't really need to over spec.
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Personally, i'd pull the engine out.

The thought of scraping around under the car on axle stands trying to drop the transmission out the bottom is something i wouldnt even contemplate. I have a crane, and can lift the engine out the front in a nice controlled manner. Much safer.

If you have access to a lift and a transmission jack, then dropping the box off is likely the way to go, but most DIY'ers dont have that facility!

Buy a rear crank oil seal, and a gearbox input oil seal for when you do the job, as one of them WILL be leaking.
  3. Sulli79

Sulli79 Member

Engine out on mine as no ramps. If I was to do it again I'd clean the engine bay properly whilst the engine was out.
  4. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

For around £300-400 you can do the 1Z conversion using a 1Z flywheel from a 2.0 80 coupe and then a 240mm clutch from an S2 3B ABY iirc Stock feel and good for upto around the 350bhp mark.

I drop the box from underneath as i have access to ramps and jacks.
  5. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

I have a friendly mechanic and a fully equipped workshop so I'm guessing that taking the box out will be the way forward, thanks for the tips with the oil seals, that's something I'd never of thought of :)
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Yeh, what ususally happens is you strip it out and realise its covered in oil, then your stuck with the car in bits for 2 days while you source the seals!

On a ramp its not too bad a job. Exhaust and heatshield off, detach prop from box and secure safely (dont let it flop around or you'll wreck the centre rubber bushing), remove front driveshafts and gear linkage, remove clutch line and electrical plugs, unbolt and remove box.