Pushbikes on aircraft....... Beware.....

rickquattro

Reaction score
I travelled with my lass to Morocco on a MTB trip in the Atlas mountains for Christmas with AirFrance. They charged us €40 per bike to get out there, fair enough. The last leg from Casablanca to Agadir was provided by Royal Air Maroc. We checked our bikes right through, no problem.

On return, at the Royal Air Maroc check in we watched our luggage and bikes go off down the belt and were told that there would be a surcharge for the bikes. No probs we thought...

The surcharge was not €40 per bike but a staggering £10 per kilo! At a total of 28 kilo's of bike its a fair wallet emptying cost.

After contacting AirFrance who handled all the ticketing for the return flight, I have been told today that R.A.Maroc have their own policy, so sorry, nothing we can do. No refund, nothing. Basically, take it up with the other company.

So, if your flying with a bike and have to change carriers on one leg of the flight, even though you have paid a return flight with one airline, you may still be mugged. I think Swiss had a reputation for this if you ever flew to Chamonix/Morzine/Les Gets with your bike.

I bet for £200, a local taxi driver would have driven the bikes to England.......A complete kick in the teeth at the end of one of our best holidays ever in an amazing country..

Thanks for the heads up (although the only bike I'll see our lass on is an exercise bike).... Put a plane in the equation and it's a definate non starter.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Was the second flight from a conveyor belt tho?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

Is a very good point, when flying with any overweight/oversized baggage. Go to Les Gets/Morzine a lot with my snowboard, so worth bearing in mind.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif