Purchasing Used Audi A3 - Tech specs help

Helen Queen

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum section!

I'm looking to buy a Used Audi A3, but I've never bought a used car before, so I need some spec help if that's alright?

Are Audi A3's usually reliable from used dealerships?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Helen Q

Diesel or petrol and what sort of age roughly?

Some owners of the earlier (pre-2010) 2.0 TDI engines report teething problems and a problem with the oil pump mechanism (search this forum for “balance shaft” – tons of comment ) So in an ideal World (and finances permitting) it might be best to buy a 2.0TDI from 2010 on.

If you are looking at the A3 Sportback (4-door), it was “facelifted” around 2008 when trim and light updates were applied. For example the post-facelift, Sportback rear light clusters are popular with owners of older cars (as a modification) as they are an attractive LED/neon type. The front lights and grill were also modernised slightly.

The 1.9 diesel engine (which was replaced by the 1.6) has less power than the 2.0 version but has a reputation for being very tough, reliable and capable of very high mileages. The “balance shaft” issue did not apply. It was used up to about 2010 and 9 & 10-year old models can be had for less than the price of the one you have illustrated.

Here is an example http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=AUDI&fuel-type=Diesel&postcode=bs16ay&page=1

Last edited:
Thank you so much! This is a really informative read!