Purchasing A4 Cabriolet (B6)

Swanseajack91

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having previously owned an A3 8P and starting to miss the feel of driving an Audi I have decided to buy an A4 Cab in the next couple of months, Just wanting some buying advice really what to look out for what engine etc. I am thinking off getting the 1.8T as it seems the best all rounder with regards to preformance and speed although I would love the sounds off the 2.4 v6 but assumes it would drink petrol and this will be my daily car for work and back (A roads and town driving around 14 miles a day).
one other thing I was curious about was boot space, from pictures it looks fairly big, big enough to put a buggy in (Even though the kids will rarely be in it). My budget will be around 2k any advice would be appreciated.

Jack

I've got an s4 cab, love it.

Re the boot space, you probably could get a buggy in there, but not put the roof down at the same time. There is a lever in the boot to either give you roof space or boot space. I don't have kids so cannot comment. @Bradderz_1988 has a child seat in his, so maybe able to comment on that one.

The 1.8t engine is a good one (so I believe). Good potential for tuning. @DrStrange has the 1.8t cab so can probably comment more on that.

I have heard that the 2.4 v6 isn't what to go for. The 3.0 (I think in b7) is a lot better.

Not too sure on your budget though, never looked for the 1.8t's but not sure you'll get a goodun for that price. I would be wrong though.

If possible, a vcds scan would benefit you when looking/buying. I could have got money off if I had vcds. I think the normal things to look for is rust, roof in good condition. All the electrics work. Others would be able to point out engine specifics.

Hope this helps you.

Edit; @vr6gordy is selling his. Have a look at his thread "the time has come", and even though it is modified, see what sort of price his would sell for, I think over £2k though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrStrange
1.8t is a nice engine, it does suffer form niggle little things faulty pcv valve, leaky rocker cover gasket etc, etc . Engine parts are not particularly expensive as it's shared across the VW/Audi range, obviously shagged turbos & the like can cost a bit, but general running is not to bad.

Bodywork, rusty front wheel arch (common on A4), lower front edges of doors rust, milky/foggy headlight lenses (not a major thing but niggle).

Interiors are pretty robust, make sure all the switch gear works, the display on Audi head units can loose a dot or 2 over time & the factory rubber coating on door pulls & radio can peel after a while.

I've had mine for 2 months & absolutely love it, it's a really nice drive relaxing, comfy & still looks fantastic for 11 years old.

Ive not tried a buggy in the boot yet but id say its big enough for one. The recaro car seat goes in but does give my youngest much leg room which also reduces my leg room abit but still comfortable to drive.

I have the 1.8T and my other A4 is a 1.8TQS, like mattmanwrx said there a good engine in terms of performance and tuning capabilities, things to probably look for is timing belt history, ive recently had to replace the coolant outlet housing and seals on the cylinder head due to the seal going (£12 from ebay mayle branded) but again if you have basic knowledge of cars just look for any obvious faults. If unsure maybe an rac inspection or take someone who knows abit about the 1.8T A4 B6.

I see it if your buying a car youve got to expect some things that need attention as long as the car drives well with no knocks or bangs or gearbox whining or turbo whistling like a drill but cars are cars nothings ever simple, i had issues with my B5 from day one, turbo, clutch, fuel pump and it cost me a small fortune to do bits and maintain it car cost me 2.5k back in 09 and since then it stands me around 8k+ in total but i have done all the work myself and also upgraded alot of things like frankenturbo F21 kit, brakes, clutch, exhaust, mounts, S4 bumpers and skirts and now its getting big turbo stroker treatment.

It all depends on what you want from the car really.

All great advice from the above Swanseajack91 :)

Indeed, as mentioned, you do have to expect minor little niggles on the cab that may or may not require attention but largely speaking all engine variants are very good.

Personally I would either go for the 1.8 turbo as they are virtually bullet proof and easily tunable to achive +200bhp on a Stage 1 map alone.

Or..going the beaut that is the V8 version like Matt above.

One thing to be realistic about is that at some point in a B6/B7 Cabby's life is that you will experience a thing or 2 with regards to the functionality of the roof. With the right description and right fault code, all of us on here can and will help. Having said that, dont be put off as the car is such a joy to drive and you will NOT be disppointed.

Dont want to bombard you with too much info so just ask if you have any questions bud.

I have history with mine of the roof motor and module being replaced for around 1k so hopefully no issues with the roof for awhile with mine :)

Thanks for the info! sounds like any other car then they all have issues I suppose, hopefully will start looking properly early september they look lovely and I really like the B6 Model! any idea what insurance is like I think I'll be going for the 1.8t :smiley::smiley:

Mine is £200 fully comp, but it'll all depend on age, location, ncb etc, etc

Mines £1500 im 28 with 6 years ncd and have roadside recovery aswell had a bump last year where someone deliberately slammed on at a roundabout junction so think thats took it up some.

Wow £200 would be nice !
Mine has come back at around £900 on both the 1.8 and 2.4.
I am 24 with 2 years no claims 1 bump (Named drive on my policy wrote off my car) and 3 points ! so it sounds like that's alright..
Will be getting a lump of cash in September so I can finally go and test drive one!

32. £500 all in fully comp. No claims. Admiral insurance. lol

29. 4.2 v8 s4 cabby. £605 fully comp. 10+ years no claims :yahoo:

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
I'm looking for around 4K as there is 2 k in just the wheels

I'm looking for around 4K as there is 2 k in just the wheels

Yeah, modded would demand more. Would be worth paying the 4k though, as you'd probably put 2k into a 2k motor to get it how you want it.

I've put more then 2k into it it's more like 6k I've spent on it

Yeah, just unfortunate that you don't get your money back when modding a car. My mate just put a lot into a drift car, won't ever see that money back.