Punto Diver + Big kerb + 18" RSTT's = ££££

RAPS3

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Travelling to work this morning when I came across some **** in a Punto waiting to turn right into a side street.

I waited patiently behind him not wanting to put my wheels anywhere near the kerb. As he started to turn into the street I started to go past him when suddenly at the last minute he changed his ****** mind and tried to go straight on nearly side swiping me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
The **** didnt even stop, so I gave chase but he managed to get away through the traffic. Boy was I ******. To be honest I'm glad I didnt catch him, as I wasnt in the mood for a discussion if you know what I mean.

The result - two passenger side alloys kerbed about 3/4 of the way around the wheel.

Still I suppose it could have been worse. It could have been a wing, door, quarter and not to mention Alu wing mirror.

Time for a trip to Romax wheel refinishers.
The dilema now though is do I go for the normal refurb or to I get them Black chromed? Bearing in mind that they cant chrome the centre caps.

That's a real ******, but as you say it could of been worse, and as you say probably just as well you didn't catch them.

I've not seen a side-by-side comparison of the black chromed and standard finish, so can't comment, but would be interested to see any pictures if you have any.

This is what they look like in black chrome, although these are brand new from AMD.
However a local wheel refinisher can now refurb the RSTT's to the original colour (they do them for the local Audi dealer), powder coat most colours or they have just started doing a powdercoat that is a black chrome finish. Like I said above though they cant powder coat the centre caps thats why I dont know whether to get them done like that.

Sorry to hear it. And yes it could have been a lot worse. See my post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Who are Romax and where are they?

I could just be about time I sorted my scrapes once and for all. Wicked Wheels seem to be unreliable & generally only do commercial jobs.

Sounds as if r88per is from the same neck of the woods as me! Romax is in Stockton on Tees about 3-4 miles from Middlesbrough. They do a good job on alloys..

Yeah Jam, I am from your neck of the woods, I'm from Hartlepool.
I may well have seen you about.

Regarding Romax, they do a brilliant job (a couple of my mates have had there wheels refurbed / polished etc.

I enquired about getting my wheels re-done a couple of months ago as they had a few marks on them. However after the recent "incident" its going to have to be sooner rather than later. When I last enquired they said that they needed about a weeks notice and could turn the wheels around in a day. Drop the car off in the morning and pick it up at tea time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll probably be getting them done in the next couple of weeks and will take some photo's and post them up.

Anyone have any opinions on whether I should go for the black chrome without the centre caps or just stick with a standard refurb?

Well ive got a contact in North Shields that did the last set of wheels i had on my mk 4 golf. Did them much cheaper than Romax quoted and as a plus point he does the local audi dealers repairs too..was a excellent job. if u fancy could pass details on.

Yeah sure pass them on, it wouldnt hurt to check them out. Was it Wearside Wheels by any chance, as I was going to have a drive up at the weekend anyway to see what they can offer / prices etc.

They must do the wheels for the local dealer network up that area as Romax do down here. What I couldnt understand when I spoke to Romax was that I read somewhere on here, (I think it was about Wicked Wheels), that no-one could match the genuine Audi RSTT's colour, as the paint chip codes hadnt been released. But when I talked to the guy at Romax he said that was ******** and that they'd been doing Audi RSTT's for months.

It's a friend of my mate up there that works for wicked wheels and he does the dealers up there inc the sunderland one. I'm sure as you and romax say that if they are doing Audi's work then they will have the necessary codes and paint to do the job!

So to recap that'd be:-

Romax
Stockton-on-Tees
Powder coating, polishing etc. (Tel: 01642 619196)

What kind of prices are they qouting for refurbs? I had tried to use WW when down in Birmingham but found them unreliable.

Also, seen as were all in the North East should we get a proper Northern Meet organised?

Also, have either of you did the road from Stokley (just south of Middlesborough down to Scarbara? (sorry hung over speeling is attroish). WHAT A ROAD - 22 miles of pure fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Sorry to hear it, think it will become oke with your wheels?

But you coudn't chase a punto?

WHOEHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I couldnt chase the punto cos I was stuck between a fekin big kerb and a load of on coming cars. I could of caught the bistid if I'd wanted to mash my wheels even further, but as I said I wasnt best pleased and I may have ended up in bother with the law. If you get my drift.

Lee,
I've seen those centre caps on awsomes wheels. I wonder if they sell them separately, or if indeed they'll be the same finish as what Romax produce. I went to Romax today but they were closed. They must close at midday on a Sat. I'll have another go during the week I think.

Oh and yes the stokesly road is ace. Pure fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A "real" Northern meet is a good idea, dont know how much interest there would be though.

Well I've turn out with my S3 and I pretty sure a mate of mine with a A3 1.8t would come also. And if Jams3 comes to it's a start.

Sorry to hear about the wheels.
Romax they do a good job. Had a set of Audi ronals done from them mirror finish on the outer rims.
Gave the car in at 8am got a call at 3pm.

Stokesly road "WICKED" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
I know that road very well I used to cycle from Boro to Stokesley. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif