Pulling off from standstill in a DSG

smudge_don

Reaction score
Finally picked up my new car last night :yahoo:

Noticed as i was driving to work this morning that when pulling away from traffic lights or something, the car is a little jerky rather than a nice smooth pull off like you would get from using a manual normally

Is there anything i should look for or is it something i just need to get used to because it's a DSG?

I think its just a characteristic of the gearbox and happens because a clutch is engaging rather than using a torque converter. I've recently come from a manual to a DSG and experience the same thing.

I tend to anticipate when the lights change, put it in drive, release the brake and let the car roll a little before accelerating away. I guess its something I just have to get used to.

Regards

Rob

by no means an expert but at a guess I understand the 170 TDI engine is a little harsher in delivering the power than the 140 so it could just be this perhaps? unless it's a proper jerk rather than a lurch!?

Rob is Spot on here.
You will get used to a smoother pull away. let the engine take up the drive after you release the brake before hitting the gas. this delay varies from car to car but you eventually learn how long to leave it and it may be only half a second !! alternatively, hit the gas harder after releasing the brake and pull away quicker.....what it doesn't like is a medium pull away straight after brake release...
You do get used to it after a while

Hi Smudge don

I have a 140pd DSG and it does exactly the same thing! i also have a manual leon (for work) so its strange getting out of the manual and into the auto during the day i just give myself a couple o seconds for it to engage then pull away.

Be careful on the ice mate with that jerking i have also noticed my brakes are way sharper!!

Mike

I also have this dilemma. How do I start in a drag race? Since I don't have the launch control activated for my gearbox, I can't rev the engine before pulling away.
Of course, in a drag race, taking the foot off the brake is not an option.

So, how do I do it?

Remap the DSG and you can enable it, but I find traction control with good front tires is all I need.

This is daft
DSG will pull away as quick as a manual. if its just a qustion of dumping the clutch i am sure the DSG will do it as quick as you can and without a pile of revs and wheel spin. If you really want to drag race then maybe you have the wrong car or your just not up to driving it to its Max.

Oh yeah! I-m gonna pull out the current shifter and replace it with one from a manual :racer:

New mod, havnt thought of that one :lmfao:

Probably easier to replace the car ...

:jester:

:lmfao: That was my point, :)

This is daft
DSG will pull away as quick as a manual. if its just a qustion of dumping the clutch i am sure the DSG will do it as quick as you can and without a pile of revs and wheel spin. If you really want to drag race then maybe you have the wrong car or your just not up to driving it to its Max.

DSG has been proved to be quicker than manual anyway, I saw 2 mk5 gti's test this out, 1 manual & 1 dsg, dsg was quicker of the line & through the gears, was impressed which is why I bought mine, not that I need to drive like that anyway, but impressed me enough to swap to auto & havnt looked back, love it.

lmfao as always Pat, your comments make me chuckle away here & soon to be back in UK hoorah for the confederacy, (always wanted to say that, Clint Eastwood movie)

Yea...I always wanted to say

"You see my Audi don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..

fistfull of dollars :)

lmfao classics, love them & he's a fantastic actor & director