Puff of blue smoke since I replaced the pcv :/ Help!

Craig Cull

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi all, maybe I'm over reacting here but I have an issue that I don't class as small.
The cars has always run a little rich since the k04 conversion, due to more power finding every weak valve or sensor possible. We agreed we wouldn't fine tune and dyno until everything is as it should be. I have now replaced the following.... Pcv, diverter, maf, plugs (ngk 7's) R8 coil packs, thermostat and replaced all the vacuum pipes. I have not seen an engine warning light for 2 weeks now and have no faults reported. Since the pcv, when I'm driving steady (which is more often than one might think) and set off normally in traffic, I see a puff of blue smoke and then nothing. My mate has followed me and seen this.... I then set off all guns blazing and nothing. It's not using any more oil than usual and it idles perfect and goes like stink all the way through the rev range. Is there a chance that it's breathing oil from the pcv? If I blip it stationary I get a little bit of smoke, then nothing. I'm hoping to god that it isn't a sign of warn piston rings.... Although I would expect it more often than none.
Any suggestions would be amazing!

Sorry for the life story lol

Amazingly, since I changed the plugs and coils yesterday... It seems to have cured the problem. Which leads me to think that it was black smoke and not blue smoke. Why? I'm not sure, but it's ok now and that's the main thing. I realise nobody helped me with this... But thanks for looking and reading anyway. :)

Reactions: jdp1962 and scotty76
Do you ever get the feeling that no one's listening Craig? hahaha Hope that's all sorted now Matey.With all the time, effort and money you have ploughed into your car recently it's no wonder that you would be concerned with the slightest hint of an issue of odd exhaust smoke.....I would be 10 times more paranoid!

Good Luck,
A

well I may aswell throw my pennies worth in....what on earth is pcv? :)

Positive crankcase ventilation. Basically oil breather system. Ridiculously over complicated and prone to blockage and split hoses.

Reactions: jdp1962
Cheers chaps! It's looking good, but still early days I guess...