PSI Motorsport box help

phantom21

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just picked up an A4 B5 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro. It is fiied with a PSI tuning box, but as the previouse owner had a new diesel pump fitted the black wire from the PSI box to the connector on the pump is no longer connected. Could someone provide fitting instructions or the correct wire to splice into. I tried finding PSI's website but it looks like they are no longer in business.

Many thanks in advance

Karl

I had a psi box some years ago and from memory it had the main plugs that went inline in the harness and then a red and a black wire that went to the battery + and - .

I had a psi box some years ago and from memory it had the main plugs that went inline in the harness and then a red and a black wire that went to the battery + and - .

Thanks for the reply Alan. This one has a brown and black wire. and a piggy back connector that goes between the ECU and its plug. The brown wire is still connected to the Batt Neg. The black wire comes all the way to the front of the engine and is left hanging by the pump connector. The owner told me he couldn't rememeber what wire it connected to. if it was to battery + i thought it would have followed the neg wire.

Sorted. For anyone else it is one of the 2 thin black wires that go to a solenoid in the centre of the fuel pipes on the back of the pump, it's the wire on the left looking from the front of the car.

Karl

Yeh i did wonder if they'd connected it to the pump stop solenoid. Older cars just had a straight up ignition live going to the pump, but newer stuff with ECU's and immobilisers etc tended to have more complex things for security.

Yeh i did wonder if they'd connected it to the pump stop solenoid. Older cars just had a straight up ignition live going to the pump, but newer stuff with ECU's and immobilisers etc tended to have more complex things for security.

Just so there is no confusion the wire is not going to a fuel cut off solenoid and is not a 12V supply for the PSI box. This wire controls the solenoid in the pump that determines the injenction time window and therefor the amount of fuel delivered.

Karl

Why would you need to splice into that though, if you've already got a piggy back connector on the feed to the ECU...

Why would you need to splice into that though, if you've already got a piggy back connector on the feed to the ECU...

Because this connection on the pump is not available to the ECU interface, ie it is not a connection on the socket of the pump. There is even a modified pump cover available 'VP44 Stealth' that allows tapping into this circuit without damaging the wire for vehicles still under warranty

These pumps are old tech now, how can a car still be under warranty ?