1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 not reading discs?

Ash B May 3, 2011

1. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

Hi

Just wondering if any of you can help my PS3 stopped reading discs.
    I've tried PS3 games, DVDs and CDs no luck :( Im guessing its the lense? Expensive?

2. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

no idea soz ash have you had a look online to see if anyone has had a similar problem , take a look on ebay you might be able to buy a new or second hand disc drive , my sisters boyfriend did it for his xbox 360

3. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3

Did it just happen suddenly?

4. Wozski

Wozski Member

My nephew had same problem - he was lucky - he took it back to the shop he bought it from under warranty. FTW they have increased the shelf life of warranties on the PS3

5. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

my first PS3 did the same (the fat one). i think to send it off to sony and have it repaired is £120+ or it was at the time i was looking at getting mine repaired.

i know a few people who's PS3 have done the same thing aswell.

i just backed up all my saved data to an external device and got the slim line, haven't had a problem with this one.

6. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

Yeah was playing it the day before and turned it on thursday and wouldnt pick up any disc's.

Hmm i got the fat one think i'll see how much it costs to repair if too much just buy a slim line one.

7. Stiggles

Stiggles Top Gear!

It's most likely the disc reader lens as you first guessed. I know a few people this has happened to, and outside warranty may just cost too much to have repaired, you might be able to get a bit of money from it if you fence it off on fleabay saying theres an issue with the disc reader though!

8. dc240969

dc240969 Member VCDS Map User

If the drive wont read l would suggest getting a new one, while your in their upgrade your hdd as well. fat is best. slim doesnt have enough usb ports.

9. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

dont dispair - its the laser - you can buy the new laser unit on ebay for abotu £40 - if you are ok at electronics/dismantling, its not hard to change. You need to identify which laser you have..
    There are a few types -
    the fat original ps 3 uses the basic laser and is probably the easiest to change.
    Plenty of guides on youtube - just search ps3 laser replacement -

I have 3 ps3's - one failed completely (yellow flashing light) - which i fixed with the heat gun fix and then the laser went later which I also replaced.