Protyre (Gloucester) Wheel Alignment?

CazzaVR

Reaction score
My S3 was in need of alignment, so took it to Protyre in Gloucester, as they seem to have a good rep. I gave them these figures (found on here):

-0.5 rear camber
-1.3 front camber

zero toe

However, they weren't interested and told me they couldn't adjust the rears as it's a MKIV platform car...

This is what I started with:
-1.06 front left camber, -0.57 toe
-0.3 front right camber, -0.21 toe
-1.54 rear left camber, +0.12 toe
-1.48 rear right camber, 0 toe

This is what I finished with:
-1.12 front left camber, +0.03 toe
-0.3 front right camber, +0.03 toe
-1.48 rear left camber, +0.12 toe
-1.42 rear right camber, -0.03 toe

Any thoughts? The car feels a whole lot better to drive now, but that rear camber seems way off and very noticeable when you look at the car.

thats ********. they have adjusted several for us.

you have adjustable rear arms? thats camber adjustment...

Rear camber is not adjustable without adjustable tie bars but toe is doable as you adjust it by undoing the rear arm bolts...

Trailingarm vi

Front camber can be 'centralised' using a combo of moving the subframe and moving the ball joints as the arms are slotted for adjustment

Rear camber is in spec...

S3_alignment.jpg

Take it to Chris Mullins along the Bristol Road next time...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Sandra
Thanks chaps- Bill, I remembered you saying that, that's why I took it there. Maybe it was a guy who hadn't done an S3 before, although I also questioned it with the guys at the desk. Reckon it will be OK? Don't want to destroy any tyres...

Camber like that is fine tyre-wise (and normal), it's excess toe which will munch through them IME.

Should be alright on those numbers, mine was way (way!) out for a while and chewed through a set in about 9,000 miles :blink: car felt ****** awful too, the rear was twitching all over.