1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Propshaft Symptoms?

AlexGSi2000 Dec 10, 2012

1. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Morning,

Just wondering what the symptoms would be for a propshaft thats wearing out?

Basically I am noticing a small vibration and a droning noise when I put my foot down at low revs in any gear - seems to be the most apparent in 5th.
    The noise and vibration is gradually getting louder / worse.

In lower gears it makes more of a "knocking" sound. - I will try and take a video so you can hear what it sounds like.

I have had wheel bearings and CV joints go in the past, this sound is completely different.
    When I purchased the car I changed the gearbox and diff oils, the levels are fine.

2. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

Sounds like dual mass flywheel problem to me...... That's how mine started...

3. RyanJonS4

RyanJonS4 Drive It Like You Stole It

I've had a problem like this for a while now(couple of years), mine makes a vibrating noise at around 1200rpm in any gear, some days it does it, other days it doesnt....but its doing it a lot more frequently recently and getting a bit louder so I think its about time i got it sorted out! I have been thinking either the DMFW or an engine mount. If it is the DMFW, has anybody changed to a singe mass? whats it like?

Ryan

4. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

i have a brand new luk clutch and flywheel that is for sale for a 2.5v6 tdi ake. pm me if you are interested. its not dear

5. AlexGSi2000

6. AlexGSi2000

Was yours a Quattro? - my noise is definitely coming from under the cabin, so leads me to think its propshaft/differential related.

7. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

Fwd, mine could be felt through my left heel quite badly, the noise is hard to describe apart from chatterchatterchatter or a dddddddddd.... I can't view your video