Propshaft Symptoms?

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning,

Just wondering what the symptoms would be for a propshaft thats wearing out?

Basically I am noticing a small vibration and a droning noise when I put my foot down at low revs in any gear - seems to be the most apparent in 5th.
The noise and vibration is gradually getting louder / worse.

In lower gears it makes more of a "knocking" sound. - I will try and take a video so you can hear what it sounds like.

I have had wheel bearings and CV joints go in the past, this sound is completely different.
When I purchased the car I changed the gearbox and diff oils, the levels are fine.

Sounds like dual mass flywheel problem to me...... That's how mine started...

I've had a problem like this for a while now(couple of years), mine makes a vibrating noise at around 1200rpm in any gear, some days it does it, other days it doesnt....but its doing it a lot more frequently recently and getting a bit louder so I think its about time i got it sorted out! I have been thinking either the DMFW or an engine mount. If it is the DMFW, has anybody changed to a singe mass? whats it like?

Ryan

i have a brand new luk clutch and flywheel that is for sale for a 2.5v6 tdi ake. pm me if you are interested. its not dear

Sounds like dual mass flywheel problem to me...... That's how mine started...

Was yours a Quattro? - my noise is definitely coming from under the cabin, so leads me to think its propshaft/differential related.

Fwd, mine could be felt through my left heel quite badly, the noise is hard to describe apart from chatterchatterchatter or a dddddddddd.... I can't view your video