1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

propshaft centre bearing

Big Bang Yam Jan 25, 2013

1. Big Bang Yam

Big Bang Yam Member

hi all
    has anyone had the centre bearing\bush fail or get noisey? it would appear the replacement propshaft i got has either has a knackered centre bearing\bush or joint? is it something that can be reconditioned ? looks like a rubber mount around the outside of the prop or does it have a bearing ??
    cheers

2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Welly had issues with his... all the parts are available from a dealer... I think he changed a rubber doughnut (new from a dealer) and git a second hand prop to replace the rest IIRC...

Centre joint is just a CV type joint which is available from a dealer too

<tuffty/>

3. Big Bang Yam

Big Bang Yam Member

might even just remove prop and leave it fwd poxy thing.

4. Big Bang Yam

Big Bang Yam Member

is there specific way of way of making sure all is correctly alligned?

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I don't think the parts were that expensive from memory... if looking for a 2nd hand prop, the TT ones are shorter from the CV to the rear... dunno about R32 props... they 'should' be the same length as the S3

<tuffty/>

Big Bang Yam likes this.
  6. Big Bang Yam

Big Bang Yam Member

cheers tuffty!going to get up in the air and exam the joint, possibly take the joint apart and make sure its greased etc!