Prop Shaft Removal - Help

Jamo2013

Reaction score
Hi all,

So i recently had the rubber on my prop shaft exploded and left the prop shaft hanging off. i recently replaced this but this morning it did it again! so does anyoone know what i have to remove to be able to get the prop shaft off completely and just let the car drive on front wheel drive? really need my car for work and cant have it off the road for ages again! Any help appreciated.

Jamie

After having broken my old S3 for parts, I have experience of taking the prop out (parts all sold). I would recommend you try taking your car to a local garage where they have a drive on ramp. Remove the rear & centre exhaust section. Remove all the prop bolts and centre prop support bolts to remove prop. Refit exhaust. Disconnect Haldex connector.

If you try to do this on a drive you make struggle to get the exhaust off and back on again. The prop bolts are very tight, you have to undo them with car on drive on ramps or otherwise the prop just spins whilst spannering. Plus the prop is very heavy, long and awkward to lift out of the way, so get some mates to help if you can.

Good luck sorting this out!

Thank you for your help! Will give it a go tomorrow and update how i get on!