Project S3 FUM build .

Ok just got home , it has taken Alex from 9am until 8pm to get the job done , had to have a new ac condensor as mine was not in that good shape , when i put the osir gaitor on i had to force the clip off to remove the gear knob , i either need a new clip or a jubilee clip as the whole knob etc is lifting up when i change gear

Ok the clutch , firstly the pedal is not really any different to oem but the gearleaver is a fair bit notchier and you have to kind of slow down a bit when changing ,i miss geared a couple of times on the way home ,my oem clutch is hardly worn as well but hey ho ,the car is now very chattery on idle but i knew that would happen with the smf ,it may settle down ,i think i may be getting aks to install their short shift kit that they do as like i say the gearleaver does feel a bit weird now lol , ****** shattered and i done ****** all all day ....

Reactions: Hookmonster
Why would the new clutch make the gear shift more notchy? Maybe it just needs a bit of running in in case there are any fibres or high spots sticking up which would cause a bit of drag and thus notchiness.

Play in the input shaft might be the reason...

Why would the new clutch make the gear shift more notchy? Maybe it just needs a bit of running in in case there are any fibres or high spots sticking up which would cause a bit of drag and thus notchiness.
not sure Peter , like i say my whole gear knob and gaitor lifts up as i have not replaced the clip that holds it all to the main metal lever/rod , it does feel i bit vague now when i am changing , i will email Alex about it

Just sent alex an email about it , it was fine before , it almost feels wobbly like it hasnt been put back properly but hey i was tierd coming home , i remember struggling with the gearchange when i first bought the car due to being used to bmw's

Ok just got home , it has taken Alex from 9am until 8pm to get the job done , had to have a new ac condensor as mine was not in that good shape , when i put the osir gaitor on i had to force the clip off to remove the gear knob , i either need a new clip or a jubilee clip as the whole knob etc is lifting up when i change gear

Ok the clutch , firstly the pedal is not really any different to oem but the gearleaver is a fair bit notchier and you have to kind of slow down a bit when changing ,i miss geared a couple of times on the way home ,my oem clutch is hardly worn as well but hey ho ,the car is now very chattery on idle but i knew that would happen with the smf ,it may settle down ,i think i may be getting aks to install their short shift kit that they do as like i say the gearleaver does feel a bit weird now lol , ****** shattered and i done ****** all all day ....

The shift shouldn't be notchier,or difficult to engage.

There were a few issues with Loba clutches and either clutch release bearings,or a shim being needed,but the Spec on mine never gave any issues at all,apart from occasional difficulty in disengaging 1st gear at low rpms when the engine was hot.

Ok thanks Alex , i will see what its like today , it isnt notchy as such i just feel like i am having to just push and pull the lever just that bit more and the engage is a bit say heavier , its hard to explain , when i was going back down to second gear the gear lever felt like it wanted to go too far to the left , like it has some play in it somewhere , alex said he removed a restrictor and maybe another could be removed ? I don't know as i am just a builder lol .

Reactions: S3Alex
Just been out in the car and its ok this morning ,no chattering either ,do i have to go steady with the clutch for a while to bed it in or does it not matter ?

Just been out in the car and its ok this morning ,no chattering either ,do i have to go steady with the clutch for a while to bed it in or does it not matter ?

If yours is a 2+,then take it easy for a bit and let it bed in.
The 3+ doesn't need bedding in.

Go steady for few miles just to be on the safe side..

If you took it off again today for a look you will see high and low spots on the friction plate after such short use.
The idea is to have all of the surface slipping and then gripping. You don't want to have judder where it grabs and lets go suddenly repeatedly and so I would not be going to Santa Pod this afternoon. Be kind to it, it has cost enough. Get some miles on the clock before RTech.
If you replace the missing clip from the gear stick that you talked about yesterday things with the gear change will improve.

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER
Ok , i wont go too mad with it

The Kevlar part of the clutch is essentially organic.
The metallic portion is almost unbreakable.
The difference between the 2+ and the 3+ is that the 3+ is entirely carbon/metallic.

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER and HHS3
Thanks guys , having my wheels put on this evening , pics will follow

Reactions: S. and leshkin
You should really get the thread title changed as this is no longer about fitting CAIs and is a full blown progress thread

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Reactions: S., MICHAEL PARKER, S3Alex and 1 other person
She needs to settle back down so riding high but all on

Reactions: Hookmonster, S., prt57 and 3 others
Clutch feels better today , i have put a new clip on the gear leaver as well this evening so should make it even better , chattering has gone altogether now , i thought i felt a slight vibration under my bum earlier when going slowly in sixth gear , maybe i need to change down a gear lol .

Reactions: S3Alex
only 6 days to go and then its R TECH time !!!!!

Reactions: Hookmonster, kash_v and St53daw
Try get as many miles in for the clutch to bed in ;).

Car looks sweet!

Will add for future reference if anybody is looking at buying parts from michael i can 110% confirm his a genuine chap all items as described and a pleasure to do business with

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER and S3Alex
Try get as many miles in for the clutch to bed in ;).

Car looks sweet!
Thanks matey , i have not used the car very much since having the clutch fitted , it has done about 3 miles a day , i guess i will neef to do a few more .

Thanks matey , i have not used the car very much since having the clutch fitted , it has done about 3 miles a day , i guess i will neef to do a few more .

Give it bit of time and a few miles.
My old Sachs smelt like it was going to catch fire for the first few miles,and after that it had bedded in well,and lasted equally well.

The current one just didn't need that,but I think any organic based clutch does benefit.

Give it bit of time and a few miles.
My old Sachs smelt like it was going to catch fire for the first few miles,and after that it had bedded in well,and lasted equally well.

The current one just didn't need that,but I think any organic based clutch does benefit.
No smell at all Alex , gear leaver is miles better now i have put a clip back on , couldn't believe the difference just now .

Reactions: kash_v, S. and S3Alex
No smell at all Alex , gear leaver is miles better now i have put a clip back on , couldn't believe the difference just now .

That's great...I'm glad it wasn't anything that needed fixing,and just down to some bedding in.

I found the Sachs was a bit juddery at first,but the metallic Spec 3+ was just like stock,but so much tougher.

Reactions: S.
Sorry to jump in but would you mind telling me where you bought the clutch and how much it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ben , no problem you asking on my build thread , always happy to help , i actually bought the Spec kit from a member on here that bought it for his car but then sold the car so never had it fitted, it cost him around £1200 , i paid a grand for it and the Pro alloy intercooler .

Reactions: S., Ben2487 and kash_v
That's a great price for the two.

Nice little touch think I may just add this to my to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER