Project B6 420-TS Avant

Photobucket sucks, the number of build threads and how to’s ruined by them is insurmountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have torn down my Denim Blue Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport.

I initially felt a bit bad, as it was a clean car - on the surface.

As the teardown progressed, I was glad I had decided to use a new B7 as my base car. Plastic skirts / sill covers are nice, but they can hide a multitude of sins. The same goes for the wheel arch liners - especially the ones made of felt. Why Audi chose to fit porous, moisture-retaining liners beats me. The B5’s were all plastic.

OEM mudflaps are also a bad idea.

This is what I found under the plastic sill covers, not to be confused with the Votex skirts. The plastic sill covers are the OEM visible parts on non-Votex or USP / S-Line models. Ignore the rusty left hand fender, it was just thrown on, as I delivered the original rust-free item to a buyer, then slapped hers on so I could drive the car home.

Badly corroded pinch welds and rocker panel, front right hand side:

re9PDAQ.jpg

Corroded pinch welds and rocker panel, front left hand side:

wsSqhcO.jpg

Badly corroded pinch welds, and rocker panel, rear left hand side:

u8GSdE0.jpg

Badly corroded front right hand side fender, where the liner meets the metal, when wet and mixed with road grit:

wxkaevn.jpg

I7aqPeb.jpg

Those 350Z engine mounts you mentioned earlier, don't they create a lot of vibrations due to being almost solid?? maybe the v6 and v8 engines run smooth as hell, but my 1.9tdi probably needs new mounts somewhere next year, and I'm always looking for nice upgrades

No vibrations with the V8, I can’t say how they would be with a 4 cylinder diesel sitting on them.

On a different note, I have a set of OEM mounts from my B6 3.0. I replaced them March this year, with genuine Audi items through TPS.

Make me an offer!