Project B6 420-TS Avant

As we approach spring, and the days are getting longer, it's getting closer to that time - to begin on B6 420-TS Widebody.

As I have limited space in my current home, in terms of work space, I'm currently looking out for a shop to rent, either short or long term. And of course, a daily, while I'm working on this car. Most likely a B6 Avant 2.0 FSI Sport, or B6 Avant 1.9 TDI 130 Quattro Sport.

I missed an attempted delivery of my genuine B7 RS4 centre caps from Audi this morning, so I'll pick them up from the Post Office on Monday.

On a different note, my freshly refurbished B7 RS4 wheels were delivered. I'm really pleased with how they've turned out. Titan Grey, with the faces diamond cut. There were issues with the process, as the spokes are not flush where they meet the actual rim. This required the wheels to be turned on a lathe, to lose the protruding area, getting them flush with the rims. They were then balanced.

They were then diamond cut, and came up really well. Another plus side, is they lost a few grams in the process, which isn't a bad thing.

On a dull, typical British spring afternoon, it wasn't easy to capture the brilliance, it'll take a reall bright sunny day to do them justice in photographs. Still, here are some of my efforts:

I was able to get my hands on a complete 2010 B7 Seat Exeo dashboard today.

I prefer the look, to that of a regular B6/7 Sedan/Avant, the A4 Convertible / Seat Exeo-specific vents really freshen up the interior, make it look more modern, and up to date.

I have little experience with the B7 RS4 dashboard / fascia, but I know the B5 RS4 dash is leather-trimmed. I want to get my B7 Convertible dash leather-trimmed, with some custom stitching. The centre console will get the same treatment.

Updated list - March 26th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.
B6 A4 / S4 front sway bar C-links.
B7 RS4 Wheels - 9.0" x 19" ET 29.
Built B6 3.0 / C5 2.5 V6 TDI 01E 6-speed gearbox.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 4.11:1 rear differential.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 01E shifter.

Brembo 6-piston front calipers, rotors TBC.
Brembo rear calipers, and Brembo parking brake calipers, rotors TBC.
B6 S4 KW V3 or Eibach Pro-Street adjustable coilovers.
B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro front axles and 01E gearbox output flanges (130mm).
Vibratechnics aluminium Motorsport engine mounts (will work for my 3.0 V6, and the D3 4.2 V8 40V).
Custom V8 40V solid billet steel flywheel.
B5 A4 Quattro front subframe.
B6 custom solid rear differential mounts.
B7 RS4 OEM complete exhaust (cat-back) with active rear mufflers.
B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper.
B6 RS4-style hood grille.
B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 rear door, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 rear door, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, left-hand side.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 front wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 rear wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 RS4 Avant black headlining with all matching trims and sun visors.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

I've been looking at different mirror solutions for B6 420-TS.

As many will undoubtedly know, the B7 RS4 mirrors are fixed. They don't fold, either manually or electrically. As their span is wider than that of a B6 A4/S4, that means they're just waiting to get smashed off by a careless motorist.

The B6 S4 mirrors do fold, but I feel they aren't really fitting for the final look I aim to achieve. So, I went a completely different route, with a pair of...

...B8 S4 mirrors. yes, the aluminium jobs, with the built-in LED side repeaters. Meaning, I can wire up my fender repeaters as side markers, which North American B7 RS4's usually have mounted in the sides of the front bumper.

They're off a 2014 B8 S4, and are currently winging their way from Germany.

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

Vibratechnics aluminium Motorsport engine mounts (will work for my 3.0 V6, and the D3 4.2 V8 40V).
B7 RS4 Side Skirts.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.
B8 S4 aluminium mirrors, with integral LED side repeaters.

These babies look really great. Their extra depth gives them a more solid, modern look than the stock B6/7 mirrors. Even nicer than the fixed mirrors fitted to the B7 RS4 Sedan and Avant.

Some adaptation will be required, but not a big deal. I've got a pair of spare B6 front doors to do what's needed to get them fitting real nice.

Pictures!

I had a pleasant surprise this morning.

When I purchased the B8 S4 OEM aluminium electric mirrors, with built-in LED's, I wasn't sure if they were electric folding, or just plain old manual. It wasn't standard, but an option. A buddy of mine at work, has a 2012 B8 S5, similar mirrors, but manual folding.

The ones I purchased are electric folding, which to me, is a bonus. I've just purchased the appropriate switch from a 2014 B8 S4, I just need to purchase the correct door control modules, from a B6 with power folding mirror option.

I was considering going with black accents, which included swapping silver the roof rails, window trims and the rear bumper hatch recess trim for black.

With my wheels, which have the main sections silver diamond cut, and my B8 S4 mirrors, which are aluminium matt, I am sticking with the silver theme. I could of course have the mirrors body color, or even black, but I see the aluminium mirrors as an RS4 signature theme, so they're staying.

I've got the B7 RS4 aluminium matt window trim, at least on the doors. I just need to source the rear window sections, as well as the section that runs above the doors, to the A pillars.

I'm not sure what to do about the rear bumper tailgate recess trim. It's pretty scratched, and new are just too shiny. I'm looking into getting it anodised aluminium matt to match the rest of the trim.

So everything's coming along pretty quick now.

My Seat Exeo dash arrived this arvo, though it's been taken back to the depot, as I was out when a delivery was attempted, so that'll be with me sometime tomorrow.

The standard B6 cluster won't fit the Seat Exeo / Audi A4 Convertible dash. Eventually, I'll be fitting a B6 S4 cluster, though not exactly from a Convertible. All B6 S4 Convertibles run Bosch RB8 clusters, so they're more related to the B7 range. I've ordered a 2004 B6 A4 Convertible cluster. I'll be running a B6 S4 Sedan PCB, within the Convertible housing, with the B6 S4 Sedan dials.

My B7 Exeo dashboard turned up today.

Placing it alongside my stock B6 Avant dashboard, the Seat Exeo one definitely looks more modern. I like the fact the vents on top of the dash - in front of the speakers, have air direction adjustment, just like the main vents.

Vent illumination uses the same connectors, as the B6. I need to purchase the connecting duct to mate the Exeo B7 vents to the HVAC unit (which thankfully is the same as fitted to the B6/B7 A4 Avant/Sedan).

The centre console is different between the A4 B6 and Exeo B7. The A4 B6 centre console can be reworked to mate to the Exeo B7 dash, but for what an Exeo B7 costs, I'd rather buy one.

I can't wait to see this in my B6. I'm still waiting on quotes to get the upper dash, glove box, lower dash and centre console leather trimmed.

Today,

I had a rare opportunity to purchase a genuine B7 RS4 front bumper, and of course, I took advantage of it.

And no, I'm not fitting a B7 RS4 front bumper to B6 420-TS. My B6 Votex is still my choice. As the B7 RS4 fender flares are much wider than those of the B6 A4, I planned to great, and widen my Votex bumper to match. This may however result in the bumper being slightly shorter, and not lining up with the fender edge...

I plan to chop up the B7 RS4 front bumper, and use certain elements that give the RS4 it's characteristic muscular stance. The wider bumper flare, as well as the trademark "great white" gills at the corners. These corners will be blended seamlessly into my B6 Votex bumper, which itself will receive the "treatment", making the B6 bumper and Votex lower apron a single-piece unit.

Updated list - April 04th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 front bumper (as donor for the corners).

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

I received my B6 A4 Convertible instrument cluster a couple of days ago, and what a mess!

The glass was so badly scratched, like someone had been over it with scotch bride. There were no screws holding the rear cover in place, so it was all falling apart. It was evident the tacho needle had been removed at some point, and was refitted and pushed on too far. The tail had then been "wiping" the dial face, leaving a nasty arc in the plastic.

Then there were finger prints, and dust on the inside. WTF??

The seller refunded me the full amount, and told me not to worry about sending it back. Thank the good Lord for PayPal. In other news, I've purchased a B6 S4 Convertible cluster, so all's well.

Updated list - April 03rd, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.

B6 S4 BiXenon headlamps.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B6 S4 Convertible instrument cluster.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

My B7 RS4 front bumper turned up this morning. Didn't hear the courier, I just opened the front door to go out, and there it was.

I bet the RS4 crew are gonna be real mad, chopping up a single, expensive B7 RS4-specific component is sacrilege in RS4 circles.

My B7 RS4 front bumper turned up this morning. Didn't hear the courier, I just opened the front door to go out, and there it was.

I bet the RS4 crew are gonna be real mad, chopping up a single, expensive B7 RS4-specific component is sacrilege in RS4 circles.

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

Sorry in advance for all the questions but I need to change the arms and bushes, etc on mine so I'm VERY interested in knowing more about these bits and bobs;

Didn't know the S4 arms were different? Are they stronger? Or is that just to work with all the other bits and bobs.

From what I've read the S4 front spindles are aluminium? Is there any other benefit?

Any benefit to the C-links too? I thought they were the same as S4's have the same front sway bar.

Like I say I'm pretty lost with all this but if you could please point me in the right direction I might go for the same stuff on mine :happy:

No worries, DieselJake.

From speaking to my man at Audi, the S4 uses the same arms as the B7 A4. The bushes are the only difference between them and early B6.

I should have updated my list - I'm going with B7 RS4 arms.

The front spindles on my B6 are aluminium, so were those on the donor car I purchased. The C-links are indeed the same, I'm just replacing mine, as they're pretty old and tired. S4 / RS4 have the same diameter front sway bar as Sport. A4's.

Reactions: DieselJake
Ah right cool so it's more of a refresher than anything?

Think I might just go for originals or Meyle HD or something if that's the case.

My front lowers are shot. Clunking like mad, ever since I did the engine and manual gearbox swap. The originals are still on the automatic subframe, but I honestly can't be bothered to fit them.

Haha fair enough I'm in the same boat, good work so far anyway mate :happy: loving the new dash and mirrors, hopefully they aren't too much of a pain to fit.

Not at all, Aragon. Quite a few members from the B5 section are aware, some encouraged me to share my project here, too. Obviously if this is a bad idea, please feel free to remove me, and my thread.

Still, I got what I deserved, from making wrong choices in the past, and paid my dues. Mistakes made, and lessons learned from them. But, the choice remains yours.

Not at all, Aragon. Quite a few members from the B5 section are aware, some encouraged me to share my project here, too. Obviously if this is a bad idea, please feel free to remove me, and my thread.

Still, I got what I deserved, from making wrong choices in the past, and paid my dues. Mistakes made, and lessons learned from them. But, the choice remains yours.

I'm not going to delete anything, was just confirming my guess.

How come you sold the Blue B5 V8 so soon after completing it?

Reactions: Nollywood
I'm not going to delete anything, was just confirming my guess.

How come you sold the Blue B5 V8 so soon after completing it?

I got a line on a B6, and a C5 RS6 short block. I've never built a B6, so it seemed the obvious route for me to take.

Some comparison shots - starting with the rubbish an eBay seller sent me. Worse, this is a business seller! [evilmad]

Comparison between the rubbish cluster, and a spare regular B6 cluster:

B6 S4 Convertible cluster:

B6 S4 Convertible cluster with the cowling / frame, vs B6 A4 Avant cluster:

I've been looking at different color options, and I'm keen on metallic / mica / pearl-based paints. Something that'll show off the widebody bulges and curves to great advantage.

I've settled for...

As for headlamps...

I was considering OEM B6 S4 HID units. But after looking around, I see LED units as the way forward. There are several LED bulbs with heat sinks out there, but so far, none have cut the grade, as far as I'm concerned.

Last night, my solution came from an unexpected source, from driving an unexpected vehicle...

...and I ended up with dedicated LED headlamps, with external ballasts. Available in different configuration and sizes, and with dedicated dipped and main units, I can see nothing better, that will better these. The beam travels much further than I expected LED's to do, further than my 2005 D3 A8 4.2 Quattro, which had BiXenons! Very crisp cut-off, too.

These will be mounted within genuine B6 S4 housings.

These are not LED's simply thrown together to create a useable headlamp, they are dedicated, purpose-made items. Each unit features 2 LED's and the same number of projectors. Ballasts are a mere 22 watts each, though they also come in 35 and 55 watts.

Lumen output is 4300, 4700, 5000 or 5200 Kelvins.

I made a mistake in my last post, which was corrected elsewhere.

The values of 4300, 4700, 5000 or 5200 Kelvins refers to the temperature range, rather than the lumen output.

The ones I purchased are 4300K, which is equivalent to most OEM HID applications.

So, I've gotten hold of a pair of genuine B6 S4 Xenon headlamps, with the trademark grey innards. Really pleased with them. I'll see what I want to do with the main beams once they arrive.

Updated list - April 21st, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B6 S4 Xenon headlamps.

B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

It's typical to have a goal in mind, in terms of a powerplant in a project car. We know what we want, yet we end up with more than we originally planned. When is a project ever really completed?

It's no different with me, and today, I've ended up with a second C5 RS6 short engine. So, block, oil pan, crank, rods and pistons. These should be with me sometime in the coming week. I'm super excited about the new route I'm planning on taking.

I won't be using the crank though, a regular D3 40V crank will replace the C5 RS6 item.

Reactions: fanta
As usual, a slight deviation in plans.

The seller of the C5 RS6 short engine kind of delayed things. I kind of feel I've been given the run around. When you almost have to beg an individual to send you his Paypal address, so you can pay, that becomes a royal pain in the ****. He would also read messages, and not bother responding. Bizarre!

I ended up purchasing a complete C5 RS6 motor, and I mean, complete. It has a knock under load from cylinder #2, which isn't really a concern, as I'm using a D3 4.2 V8 crank, and rebuilding the engine with new bearings. It's complete with manifolds and turbos, and the intake.

It's paid for, I just need to either organise collection, or delivery.

Reactions: fanta
Updated list - April 24th, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.

C5 RS6 BCY engine, complete.

B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B6 S4 Xenon headlamps.

B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.

An interesting discussion arose yesterday, between myself and one of my buddies.

As many are aware, the C5 RS6 is the only 077-series V8 40V that runs a 10-bolt crank. It was designed strictly for automatic application, the RS6 uses the same huge torque converter as the W12 engines. The block is also pretty much RS6 / automatic-specific, with the rear mating flange being substantially larger than that of the N/A V8 077-series 40V.

My previous V8 swap (my 6th since I started these swaps in 2008) was with a 2004 D3 4.2 V8 40V. It was a massive learning curve for me, too. This block is again, automatic-specific, and the same issues when mating a C5 RS6 block to an 01E 6-speed manual gearbox, apply here, too. The BFM block is from the same cast as the C5 BCY block. I however had the rear of my BFM block drilled and machined to bolt up to an 01E...

Back to my current project. In the past, MTM have used the regular N/A 077-series V8 40V block, and it's 8-bolt crank to convert the C5 RS6 to manual. Before my last B5 V8 swap, I too would have taken this route. Indeed, this is what I suggested back in 2009, when folk realised how different the rear flange of a C5 RS6 block was to an 01E 6-speed manual gearbox...

So. last night, my buddy asked why I didn't simply build the C5 RS6 internals into a N/A 40V block, instead of just using the N/A 40V crank? After all, I do have a couple of 40V short engines, from C5's.

My answer is simple.

Torsional rigidity. It's a well known fact, that an engine block has to resist "twisting" whilst in service. The more torque an engine develops, especially from really low rpm, and the more load the crank and rods have to cope with (boost junkies, pay heed), the greater the stresses the block has to cope with. Manufacturers overcome this in different ways. Girdles, thicker block webbing, different block material.

The C5 RS6 block has thicker webbing than the N/A 40V block, making it substantially stiffer. The C5 RS6 bare block is also slightly heavier as a result. I will weigh both bare C5 RS6 and N/A blocks, and post the results.

Using a N/A 40V block will be easier, it's definitely a short cut to bolting on an 01E, but it's not for me. I do not wish to sacrifice torsional strength for ease of 01E fitment. So, BCY block will be retained. The C5 RS6 crank offers no strength advantage over a N/A 40V crank, which is great. I have a spare crank from a 2002 European C5 S6 (ANK) which I will be using.

Reactions: Baka
Why don't you use a crank girdle and what colour did you decide on and leave us hanging many posts ago?