Project B5 RS4 Sedan...

That sucks about the baught mounts, I guess it might have worked with a 40v motor?

Yeah, it would have.

Luckily, I didn't buy the mount for the driver's side, the one that incorporates the oil filter housing (40V).

It wouldn't fit, and I'd have been stuck with a £280 part I couldn't use!

When is GT show? Is anybody taking a camera to film? Would be good to see it in action, and hear it!:racer:

Yes, definitely turbochargers.

Superchargers won't give the results I want.

Well, GTI International has come and gone, and all the hype and pressure's off.

As for Outlaw - the time has come, no going back now, I photographed the current 2,6L V6 12V engine in the car, slapped it on eBay, and it sold, so that's being delivered next Tuesday.

So, that means strip down this weekend, starting Friday!
I need to remove my current V6 and 5-speed tranny, remove the PAS rack which is leaking, and replace it with a new Sport rack, whilst the engine's still out.

Then, I have to remove the S8 motor and 6-speed tranny, from my R&D B5, install the complete assembly into Outlaw, and get the R&D shell ready for the junkman to come collect next week, so a busy time. The usual picture updates will follow.

V8 power, here we come!

Good man, was a shame you couldnt make it to GTi mate, she would have been star of the show. Are you up for Audis in the park on 9th Aug?

Slightly off topic, if you happen across a petrol 6 speed 2wd box, give me a text / email, my gears are too tall for 1/4 miles,lol Or possibly a crownwheel and pinion from the same.

Shame you are so far away, i would willing ly have helped you stick this beast together

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 6-speed FWD tranny, quite rare to find a petrol unit in non-quattro guise though - you're probably looking at B6 1,8T S-Line.

Not sure I'll make Audi's in the park - I'm getting married in August, and probably won't be around by then.

Thursday morning, Outlaw will be reversed into position in my garage, for surgery to commence. This will be the last time she'll move under V6 12V power, and a 5-speed manual tranny. Mileage will be frozen at 220,200+.

The conversion marks the end of the original mechanical parts that came from the factory - as far as bodywork goes, the only OEM panel left is the roof.

Parts being replaced are:

Engine (S8 4,2L V8).
Tranny ('01 B5 S4 DSY 01E 6-speed).
Front driveshafts (B5 RS4).
Rear driveshafts (B5 2,8Q 30V, brand new from Audi).
Propshaft (B5 RS4).
Clutch (B5 RS4).
Flywheel (DVG-V8 S/M).
Front uprights (B5 RS4).
Front suspension upper arms (B5 RS4).
Front suspension lower arms (B5 RS4).
PAS rack (replacement Sport unit).
PAS pump (S8).

Mileage as she currently stands:

30062009512.jpg

Asthmatic ABC 2,6L V6, has stood the test of time - who said high mileage cars were bad? Underpowered, but reliable.

30062009514.jpg

Yes, turbo's will fit - and are in the pipeline.

I have a spare 4,2L V8 (regular A8 ABZ) sitting in the garage, which will be turbo spec for next year.

^^^ Yes Mark. It's configured for forced induction, and comes with a 3 bar MAP sensor.

I'll just have to alter the fuelling and ignition values via the serial port and a laptop.

Saw you in Ipswich yesterday, as I was stepping out of the DVLA office. Glad I had a last chance to hear it running the V6! Good luck with the swap mate

220K! thats just run in!!

Good luck with the swap Siena. you keep making me contemplate stuffing a V8 in mine!

No going back now - I've started the teardown, so she isn't going to turn a wheel under V6 power, ever!

S8 motor and 6-speed should be in place tomorrow.

Surprising how much marries together - even the fuel lines are compatible, as well as the PAS hoses, using a 1,8T high-pressure line. The vane pump is in the same place on the S8 engine - lower passenger side. I thought I'd be looking at custom pipework, but clearly not the case!

^^^ Was too tired to take any pictures, till it was too dark.

Will post pictures up tomorrow.

Lol. The S8 motor and 6-speed tranny are in place, clutch is all working, pedal feels vastly different to the 220,257-odd mile original.

PAS rack was a swine to replace - and that's with the engine and tranny out. I wouldn't like to take it on, with the engine sitting there.

It's after midnight, so no more pictures till tomorrow.

Getting closer to V8 power, must be like Crimbo for you mate, surprised u can sleep with all the excitement!:lmfao:

Do you plan to get sum vids up of it runnin when complete??? Would love to hear it runnin and driving if you can!

I'm crap at doing video footage.

Besides, all I have camera-wise is my Nokia N95.

Siena getting there i see!
while you can see the washer bottle, any chance you can take some pics of the washer bottle esp. where the new washer pumpjet fits into the bottle for the headlamp jets,
thanks

I have a video camer, tripod and in car mount if you're not too many millions of miles away from me I'd be happy to shoot some footage for you. Or do it a show or meet?

Cars looking good buddy

^^^ You're not too far from me in Herts. I'm in Woodbridge, Suffolk.

I'm coming to Colchester next Saturday to drop a mates Subaru off, might be able to tie it in if my mates not in a rush to get back to his kids.

Looking forward to next saturday!!! You'll never find a stronger exponent of diesel power but come on! V8!!!! That's amazing work man. Hat off to you, I wish I had the knowledge and experience to even consider something like that..

I spent all day yesterday, and all through the night, working on Outlaw. In the course of the S8 / 6-speed tranny conversion, I've come across quite a few pleasant surprises.

Is the B5 1,8T PAS pipework compatible with the S8 vane pump location? Yes.
Is the B5 1,8T vane pump compatible with the S8's bracket? Yes.
Is the B5 V6 gas pedal cable compatible with the S8 quadrant? Yes.
Are the B5 V6 fuel lines compatible with the AHC S8 motor? Yes.
Are the B5 V6 12V catalysts compatible with the S8 AHC manifolds? Yes.

So far, progress has been good. What's been done:

01E DSY 6-speed tranny installed.
S8 AHC engine fitted.
OEM clutch slave cylinder fitted, all working.
PAS rack replaced - original was leaking.
S4 6-speed selector mechanism fitted, all gears engage.
B5 1,8T vane pump fitted, and plumbed in.
Heater hoses fitted.
B5 V6 airbox fitted.
VEMS stand-alone wiring harness fitted.
S8 starter motor fitted, using original B5 V6 connections, engine cranks fine.
B5 V6 gas pedal cable fitted, works fine.

Just come in for a breather, then next step is to fit the B5 RS4 propshaft. Of course, the original B5 V6Q one is too long. Then tomorrow, (perhaps today) fit the B5 RS4 front uprights, with matching upper and lower arms. Then of course, Docurley's loan B5 RS4 brakes.

Integrating the VEMS harness with the B5 is easy, more on that later.