Programming Key

r3stu

Reaction score
Anyone had a key programmed ?

I bought another key off ebay and was hoping to be able to get it programmed to my car? Will this be possible as it has already been programmed to another car originally?

Thanks

Someone may correct me but I think it's a main dealer only on programming the key to your car for obvious reasons..ie motor vehicle theft...:friends:

Needs new immo chip, if its still using megamos 48 caps, then its one use only.

Reactions: pburv
Personally, I am very skeptical of aftermarket key personnel, you take your risks keys aren't copied or additional keys aren't added to the system but not handed over, hence why I tend to advise others to use the dealer for best peace of mind.

Reactions: richinsoton and pburv
Or maybe this I'm not sure if it makes the key save the same information that the original has such as cc settings or the mileage of the car though...

Personally, I am very skeptical of aftermarket key personnel, you take your risks keys aren't copied or additional keys aren't added to the system but not handed over, hence why I tend to advise others to use the dealer for best peace of mind.

Any 'aftermarket key personnel' worth their salt would be CRB checked, and a registered and insured business. I would imagine if I were to make extra keys for the wrong reasons any investigation raised would quickly return to me. A quick profit isnt worth the risk IMO. That said, there are no regulatory bodies in this industry just a handful of 'clicky' organisations you can join for no real benefit or peace of mind to consumer.

i tried getting mine done via a good recommended locksmith in Leicester over the summer as i bought the car with only 1 key. They wouldn't do it. No-one would touch it. Everyone really advised me against it as you can apparently get locked out of the MMI if you start tampering with key codes. No idea if this is true or not but given the levels of security surrounding keys and their coding i would have thought it to be true. Apparently you can only cut a key to the existing key barrel but not code it, even then it wont turn off the alarm if it had been activated beforehand.

Also, i was told by the locksmith that the codes are released by Audi after a while, for example they can do the 8P A3's but the 8V A3's coding hadn't been released so they cant program them.

I eventually had to have one sent to the local dealer from Audi HQ in Germany and then when it arrived they coded it to my car. They also deleted the missing key. £250 all in.

PS: FYI, i used the website quoted by "cuke2u" above to get quotes before i realised i had to go to Audi directly.

Last edited:
Ormesome, 8v chassis uses 256bit encryption afaik and no tools other than audis online system can program or clone them. 8p uses 128bit and can be programmed and cloned with various non dealer tools.

Reactions: Ormesome
Ormesome, 8v chassis uses 256bit encryption afaik and no tools other than audis online system can program or clone them. 8p uses 128bit and can be programmed and cloned with various non dealer tools.

cool good to know. :grinning: makes sense. On reflection i think even if i could of had it done via a locksmith,its safer to go via Audi.

Reactions: NHN