1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with self leveling HID's

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by QuottroA4, Dec 17, 2010.

1. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Hi everyone

Recently I have been experiencing problems with the self leveling control on my front lights.

After driving for about 20 mins the self leveling warning light comes on and a few seconds later the lights point down only giving me about 10ft of light :think:

When I start the car and put the lights on the leveling cycles ok, its just when I have been driving for a bit when they fail. The warning light also comes on when I dont have the lights on..

Can anyone suggest what is causing this? As with the bad weather upon us again I am eager to get it fixed/

Thank you in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

could be the sensor , its located on the front passenger side lower wish bone, its common for them to fail at this time of the year due to the weather, so i was told by Audi when my one went last year,

4. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Any other ideas? Anyone?

5. Turkster

have you looked at the sensor ? or plugged it in ?

6. Turkster

Does this sign show up?

[​IMG]

7. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Yes mate, thats the one..your instrument panel looks different to mine!

8. Turkster

Ah ok, its not my pannel, That was the sign i was getting when one of my leveling sensors failed on me, there is one on the front and one at the rear of the car, one of them has failed for sure, the front ones are the most common ones to go as they get all the **** 1st, you may just have a bad connction or water in there, take off the front passenger wheel, you will see it connecting to the lower wish bone, follow it back to the plug and have a look, fairly simply inspection job,

9. murran

murran Active Member

id check these first on the front and rear sensor plugs unplug them (with ingition off). check for corrosion. squirt some contact cleaner in them and blow them out wth an airline. plugthem in and unplug them several times and try it. have you had the system read for fault codes?

10. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Also check if any of the 2 axle sensor arms have snapped, these can get broken, should be 1 on front & rear axle.

11. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

NHN

You was right, nothing wrong with the sensor just the bolt snapped. Tapped out a new one, garnished it with loctite and job done. Needed the fault code deleting and sensor 'resetting' via vagcom...20min job for my indy :)

12. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Glad you reported back, result.