1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with number plate lights

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by connersz, Mar 3, 2012.

1. connersz

connersz New Member

[Mar 3, 2012]
    Hi, I had one number plate bulb playing up, to begin with it would sometimes be working and then it wouldnt. Now it just doesnt work at all.

So i take out the module and inspect the bulb and its ok, i tested the terminals inside the bootlid and they were giving out the correct voltage so i cleaned up the terminals a bit, adjusted the springy plates that connect to them and tried again, but nothing.

As a last resort i took out the right hand module to test the bulb in the left hand side but that didnt work either.

Now none of the bulbs work, i have tried adjusting the spring connectors all over the place but not even a flash or anything! I dont have a bulb indicator but i had tried turning the ignition on and off and same for the lights but i cant get them to work.

I am really stumped on this one, who said it would be easy to change the bulb?
  2. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 3, 2012]
    Hi, welcome to ASN. Someone should be along soon. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)
  3. welshwoody

welshwoody Member

[Mar 3, 2012]
    Isnt this something to do with the car noticing that a bulb isnt working so it temporaraly stops supplying power to it? If what I remember reading is correct then the power should come back to it...eventually.
  4. connersz

connersz New Member

[Mar 3, 2012]
    I have seen something similar but its usually where people are trying to fit LED's, they also said it cut but bulbs but for me one went out to start with.

Is this is design then it would be difficult for a simple user to change a bulb that had blown because it would continue to not work afterwards and it would need to go into a garage or something.
  5. MrWhItEwOlF

MrWhItEwOlF Audi A3 Sport 1.6 2006

[Mar 3, 2012]
    Hello connersz welcome to the forum :)

Are these new bulbs, old bulbs or LED bulbs? as A3 09+ have issues with LED bulbs (voltage problem) and as for the car noticing, My A3 didnt notice one of my licence plate lights had gone due to the fact it had a connected circuit still but this was with LED bulbs.

I suggest just buying some replacement the bulbs to be on the safe side and not to sound patronizing but have you tried placing it back in the opposite way around? as that has worked for me in the past.

Hope this helps and you get it sorted soon
  6. connersz

connersz New Member

[Mar 3, 2012]
    I did try new bulbs i forgot to mention, it had no effect.

What do you mean by the backs? are you referring to the clear covers because they only go on one way.