1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my door handle/lock mechanism

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by kaotix, Jul 29, 2013.

1. kaotix

kaotix New Member

[Jul 29, 2013]
    I have a 1998 T Sport and I've always had issues with the drivers door and door lock. Firstly, I was not supplied with a key for the drivers door. I retro fitted a remote central locking kit which has been working fine.
    When I first purchased the car, the door handle didn't even open the door. The part that comes out of the handle that the metal bar inside holds on to was completely missing so I had to buy a new door handle and lock mechanism due to both being trashed.

This worked fine for ages...until the other day.
    My drivers door wouldn't open using the external handle...I could see it was being unlocked by the door pin raising.
    Upon my inspection I noticed that the bar that goes from the handle, down into the lock mechanism wasn't pushing down as far as it should be, thus causing the mechanism to fail since it wouldn't push the catch far enough back to allow the C shape piece in the mechanism to flip round like it should.

I'm interested in finding out what the whole lock mechanism should look like if installed correctly as the bar from the handle to the lock appears to be quite short and only about 1cm of thread is clipped inside the small black plastic piece attached to the lock mechanism.
    Failing that, can anyone offer me any help towards sorting this problem?

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]