Problems I have had with my 2008 S3

Paul Laird

Reaction score
problems i have had with my 2008 s3 so far covered by warranty
:knocking noise from front end at all speeds, got new trackrods, first didnt cure it so got a new steering rack
: surgen underload, got two new coils, set of plugs
: glovebox didnt shut right, new glovebox fited
: keyblade wouldnt pop out, new key from audi
: buckets started wearing, retrimed
Thats bout it up to now :yes:

That's abad run of luck... fingers crossed that's it for you

it could be worse mate lol
ive ha my 2007 s3 for 3 months its only done 14000 miles and is still under warrenty but its been in for the following:

noise from passenger mirror when electrically folding in - new mirror fitted

way too much wear on drivers bucket seat- re-trimmed

car cutting out while driving and lots of black smoke from exhaust - has been in twice first time they fitted a new fuel pump and pressure sensor - idnt fix it, second time they fitted fuel pressure regulator - didnt fix it and now they have had my car for a week and telling me they think its a controll unit but arnt sure lol
they say there contacting audi in germany and discussing it.

meanwhile im stuck in a loan car which is a volvo estate and im only 22, what 22 yr old wants to drive a volvo haha

cant wait till i get my s3 back, just hope its fixed this time

Bit of a bummer. Glad they were all sorted for you under warranty.

What colour is your car? Im only in Kilwinning, will keep eye out for you.

-Glove box changed.
-Drivers door adjusted and new door seal fitted.

-Ongoing creak from rack, "nothing wrong Sir..."`apprently.
Im keeping a close eye on that.

-Intermitent clutch slip (REVOd though)
-Door has dropped again, seal wearing again.

Cant say its put me off as I had a lot more grief with my last Golf and still had niggles with previous CTR too.
Still frustrating though.

Should have bought a BMW..........:undwech:
:whistle2:
cheers
Paul

I feel for you guys. So far my only problems have been the electric windows clicking/dropping down and brake squeal.

I was surprised to hear the problems Warren has had too.

New problems for mine include:

Squeeky brakes - STILL!!! Anyone else know if this is common problem?

strange noise from wheels when going over bumps - almost pinging sound - any ideas?

Drivers seat - sagging in middle - car only covered 6000 miles!

Tyres wearing out way too quickly!

These are on top of my previous problems (see my thread re Audi Bedford)

I had an R32 MK5 before though and during the 6 months of ownership I had new flywheel, steering rack to name a few! thought German cars were supposed to be built like tanks!!

I had squeaky brakes but I changed the pads which cured it

I have an intermittant light fault from the drivers side - the balast is on its way out but being replaced underwarrenty

Creaking seat belts for both front seats - does my head in

Creaky Armrest

Still absolutely love it - done 6k in 3months lol

...Squeeky brakes - STILL!!! Anyone else know if this is common problem?...

Hell yeah! I regularly give them a good blast with the jet wash and it reappears, in fact it is getting progressively worse: cold and hot (or anywhere in between). Audi cite the lack of asbestos, but give me a break, none of my previous cars have had this issue - surely a change of pads at the factory is needed. I will be swapping to aftermarket when they need changing for sure. When I asked my dealer about the Technical Bulletin (or whatever it is called) on the brakes, they knew nothing about it, although I believe someone on here got theirs changed by Audi...:think:

Audi have just agreed to change my pads for the new version as mine have been squeaking more and more of late, they checked the car with 7,400 miles on.

Car goes in next wednesday when they will also look at rear diff as this cab be noisy (whirring noise).

The tech did say he thought the wheel bearings may need checking but I think he was hearing my intake kit :)

Be interesting to see if they say anything about the mods, I don't mention them but don't revert to oem either.

Other than the 2 things mentioned mine has been faultless and a good ownership experience.

^^^

Looks like a call to Audi UK is needed on my behalf for clarification then. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Call logged and awaiting a response from a technical chap in the next short while.

Last edited:
^^^

Looks like a call to Audi UK is needed on my behalf for clarification then. Thanks for the heads up.

Good call - Do you think you could post here and tell us how you get on? so I could then mention to my dealer?

Cheers

Problems?

Here are mine (again). Was an "Approved Audi", 10 months old, but previous owner had racked up almost 15k miles.

1. Driver's door dropped - fixed.
2. Driver's door card creaking - fixed on 3rd visit to dealer.
3. Too much play in gear knob - tightened gear know, new gear knob, finally entirely new gear assembly -fixed.
4. Emissions light on - 5 different visits to dealership in first 4 weeks of ownership - new lambda probe, breather valve and finally throttle valve - fixed (fingers crossed).
5. New! - breaks starting to squeak.
6. New! - driver's door dropping again.

I mentioned my issues on a local VAG forum and another member posted up this message:
"I had noticed on vwaudiforum.co.uk that there is a recall on all A3's between 2006-2010 and tt's here's the link http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... hp?t=81252"

I'm not a member, so can't read the post, but does anyone else on here know what the recall is for?

I have a standard MY07 S3 with 48k miles (I do about 20k a year) and have had the following problems in no particular order.....

Side repainted under warranty due to the lacquer peeling
Flywheel and Clutch
Rear parcel shelf replaced - the pop up blind broke
Counter weight on drive shaft fell off and was replaced
Rear light replaced due to water ingress
Two new coil packs due to misfire

Does anyone else have a high mileage S3 with similar problems.....on a side note I'm doing the brakes very soon and replacing with Tarox discs and pads rather than the Audi ones, anyone else used these?

Despite the above I wouldn't change the car in a million years, it always exceeds my expectations

Olly

lol, Nah i love the cars. Just dont seam to have the reliability they once use to have thats all im saying.:icon_thumright:

You lot are amateurs. Where do I start. Chronological order I guess:

1) New front OS damper
2) faulty spark plug in chamber 1 (Dealer had car for 6 days and never found the fault - gave it back and told me to wait for it to break down so they could fault find! - fixed it myself in < 3 hours or trial & error).
3) New MAF
4) New Clutch
5) New dual mass flywheel
6) New Haldex controller
7) New rear diff (after originally changing a seal it leaked and started whining)
8) Windows rolled back to half level in the rain (twice) - FIX: dealer turned auto window roll back off
9) New driver seat base
10) New armrest (have fitted wrong one so now I get phone system baseplate DTC's)
11) Eternal rattling from passenger side door (never resolved)
12) Currently no voice command on phone (even Staz's attempts at recoding couldn't fix that)
13) Windows rattle in frames really badly, dealer failed to fix it twice
14) Drivers door has dropped and seal is nearly perished as a result
15) Rear diffuser bowed and had to be replaced.

In summary the most unreliable car I've EVER owned. It seems to be behaving for now, but it has been a FAR worse experience for the fact that there don't seem to be any decent Audi service centres on the M4 corridor. Shame as I do like the car, but you know it's bad when the dealer is giving you Q7's, A6 3.0TDi Quattros and S4's as courtesy cars.

1) Panoramic roof gives me a very, very, very loud CLUNK everytime the car has any bit of bodyroll. Garage people said they could not hear it
2) radio reception is poor. They couldn't care less
3) ESP warning when turning the key to start (ESP works fine BTW). They couldn't care less
4) Whine in the rear every few seconds (it's the differential) They couldn't care less.
5) I sometimes get a rather unusual noise from engine bay. Not easy to notice but definitely there. They couldn't care less.
6) Squeeky brakes. They couldn't care less.

It looks that I will be using an independent shop now. The problem is that the dealer claims that I will lose the warranty if I take it elsewhere (which normally shouldn't be a problem under the Block Exemption Rule).

So far i have had:

new multi function controls on the flat bottom steering wheel as the coating was peeling
new trackrods
new steering rack
new horn
going in next week for a whining noise in 5th gear, have ordered a sachs perfromance clutch so they can fit that whilst the box is out :)
horn is acting up AGAIN sounds like a single tone so ill question that

All these problems and i still love it :D

don't seem to be any decent Audi service centres on the M4 corridor.

Blimey, you've had it rough and you're warranty's earned its crust! Not sure about service centres down the M4 but your faults list is long as the M6!!

The only minor observation I can say that I have noticed with my S3 is the Glove Box which some have already commented on.... have to give it a proper slam to close it.

Cheers KKP

The only minor observation I can say that I have noticed with my S3 is the Glove Box which some have already commented on.... have to give it a proper slam to close it.
Cheers KKP

Forgot to mention this problem. I have this too. It looks like they...emmm...couldn't care less.:haudrauf:

Blimey, you've had it rough and you're warranty's earned its crust! Not sure about service centres down the M4 but your faults list is long as the M6!!

Cheers KKP

My glovebox is the exact same need to give it a quick push to shut it, if you do it slowly it doesnt click shut.

Its a shame people from Audi dont read these forums cause I have the same glovebox problem, only had the car a month. I also found they had not fit the door trim correct, its in for a replacement part this weekend. You spend £30k on a car you expect the little details to be perfect.

Going off topic a little, I had a used 53 plate S4 for 2.1/2 years. 1 month after I picked it up had a new engine fitted under warranty (£10k), 14 months a new clutch and flywheel (£2k), 8 coil packs and 9 RAC call outs. What annoyed me the most was the car I had when the engine was replaced, 110bhp 407 for 2 weeks, so much for the 340bhp audi I had bought.

You've seen my threads already re my probs with mine (still loving it though) but anyone else have this problem? - like a pinging sound on wheels as they turn - can hear it when my window is down - really difficult to explain, have checked tyres and theres no stones etc stuck in the tyre tread. Just wondered if anyone else has this?

Na m8 i havent had that problem yet?lol the only thing that could be makeing a pinging sound when turning is if the spring is,nt seated right or broken

You've seen my threads already re my probs with mine (still loving it though) but anyone else have this problem? - like a pinging sound on wheels as they turn - can hear it when my window is down - really difficult to explain, have checked tyres and theres no stones etc stuck in the tyre tread. Just wondered if anyone else has this?

I have had this problem, i also checked the tyres for a nail, stones etc but nothing :uhm: Anyone else had this?

Getting a new gearbox fitted now due to a whining noise in 5th gear, so heres the updated list:

new multi function controls on the flat bottom steering wheel as the coating was peeling
new trackrods
new steering rack
new horn
new gearbox
going to query my glovebox and horn again

All these problems and i still love it :D

Is it just me or is this a completely pointless thread?

"Here's a list of issues I've had, I don't need any help and I don't want to let people know how to sort any of them or anything like that, I just thought I'd tell you."

wow you have had a bad run mate id be seriously peed , why dont you take it back and just plant it through the showroom at 70's lol ha ha ha

Is it just me or is this a completely pointless thread?

"Here's a list of issues I've had, I don't need any help and I don't want to let people know how to sort any of them or anything like that, I just thought I'd tell you."

Just you, whats not good about knowing that the problems you have are not unheard of and can be put right?

wow you have had a bad run mate id be seriously peed , why dont you take it back and just plant it through the showroom at 70's lol ha ha ha

Driving 450 miles to Gatwick is a bit extreme for me, think ill just keep gettin warranty :lmfao:

Just you, whats not good about knowing that the problems you have are not unheard of and can be put right?

Because the glovebox, key and seats are obvious how to fix, if you can't work those out you must be severely lacking in common sense, to say the least. The other problems are covered in far more detail in many other threads. Those other threads even have detailed descriptions of the issues and detailed explanations of how they are resolved and the reasons those solutions work.

This thread just seemed to me like it added nothing other stating that they had occurred and were fixed. Pretty much zero benefit to anyone in my opinion. Don't worry though, if you find it useful, fair enough.

Don't worry though, if you find it useful, fair enough.

Ummm.....it seems useful to me too. It is very annoying paying this amount of money to buy a bucket load of problems. Not resolving problems on your own may seem weird to you Mitch, but in the same way I find it difficult to dedicate a full day on solving problems that shouldn't be there on the first place. And if I have to leave work again and again and again, in order to go to the dealer and listen a lot of "Naah, that's completely normal" crap, it's something worth mentioning. :shrug:

Ummm.....it seems useful to me too. It is very annoying paying this amount of money to buy a bucket load of problems. Not resolving problems on your own may seem weird to you Mitch, but in the same way I find it difficult to dedicate a full day on solving problems that shouldn't be there on the first place. And if I have to leave work again and again and again, in order to go to the dealer and listen a lot of "Naah, that's completely normal" crap, it's something worth mentioning. :shrug:

I totally agree, why should you or i have to spend our time finding solutions to problems occuring with a car with warranty. We shouldnt have to. Thats the reason why most of us buy new, you have piece of mind that your covered. Whenever i think my car isnt quite right i always check audi-sport to see if others share the issue. If the dealers try and tell me its normal at least i have an answer for them.