1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? Problem with start stop function

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Tom75, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Tom75

Tom75 Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Hi all,

I have recently noticed that the start stop function in my A3 seems not to work anymore. Earlier it worked without problems and therefore I wanted to ask if anybody has seen anything like that or am I maybe missing something such as has it been somehow disabled etc.

- The function is definitely switched on with the button next to the drive select button
    - As soon as the engine is warm the start stop should start to function automatically however now when I have to stop and touch the brake hard enough that the start stop should work I always get the message in the display that start stop is disabled which is strange?

I have already checked the car settings in the MMI but there is nothing about start stop.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Tom
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. misthills

misthills Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
  4. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Start stop can be disabled by default using VCDS.
    Johnnyb likes this.
  5. Tom75

Tom75 Member

[Jan 7, 2014]

Thanks for the information.

then I guess I need to get this checked at the dealer.

Regards,
    Tom
  6. BigD289

BigD289 Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Could it be the rear window demister or heater? If you are drawing too much current or need heating/cooling the start stop will be disabled.
  7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Could be any number of things at this time of year that would disable it....
  8. steeve

steeve Well-Known Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    You may have a problem, but there are many parameters which seem to affect whether or not its enabled.

Switch AC off and set the heater on a low temperature and as suggested no heated rear screen of front demister, seat heaters or anything that might put a significant load on the alternator then try it.
  9. Tom75

Tom75 Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Thanks a lot everybody for the comments.

In this case I will try around some more I just thought it is strange that it doesnt function anymore because in summer it functioned normally but maybe it is really connected to the winter, cold season, heating etc.

Thanks ai will do some more testing.

Regards,
    Tom
  10. steeve

steeve Well-Known Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Tom. let us know how you get on......
  11. snakehips

snakehips Active Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    I am still learning its personality. Just a couple of days ago it switched the engine off at some lights but after 30 seconds or so it thought better of it and started the engine again. I had heated seats and radio on so not particularly surprised, but first time I have seen this behaviour.
  12. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Its normal, my focus with the function did the same in the summer but for opposite reasons. it detected the cabin was getting too hot thus started up the engine to let the CC cool the cabin down...
  13. gtiller

gtiller Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    @silky-s3 I am really curious how start/stop can be defaulted to disabled by VCDS - it is the biggest dislike I have for my A6 and was dreading similar pain with my S3 when it arrives in March.

I find it a PITA that the onus is on me to remember to disable it every time I get in the car. When Audi spend so much time and money on tuning the user interface of their cars.

Is there an article on the VCDS coding you can point me to?

Cheers!
    Tahir85 and Johnnyb like this.
  14. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 7, 2014]
    This is the location of my original post about this. The information came from the GTiForum for the Mk7 Golf. On the A3 you need the security code of 31347 to access the module. The item on the GTiForum also has some screen shots of VCDS.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/206515-8v-vcds-mods-2.html

And here is the original post on the GolfMk7 forum which was referred to in the GTiForum with the VCDS screen shots. Look at post #12.

GOLF MK7 VCDS TWEAKS - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Johnnyb and Silky-S3 like this.
  15. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    It's part of the consumption and emissions figures of the car, which are values on the V5, a legal document, and define your tax rate in this country at least. So it's obvious that they wouldn't let you turn it off permanently through the controls of the car.
  16. h5djr

[Jan 7, 2014]
    If you don't have access to VCDS or the code change does not work there is another alternative. The company KUFATEC sell a module that plugs in to the OBD socket which will switch the Star/Stop off permanently for £30.00. Here is a link to the item on their UK website:
    Coding interface disable start / stop MQB-40019
  17. Cumbrian_bob

Cumbrian_bob Member

[Jan 7, 2014]
    Getting used to the stop start and its idiosyncrasies, doesnt like working with heated seats, or window demist on. Needs time to store the energy, or rather doesnt always work on short journeys.

I am not sure but it seems pressing the brake slowly and gently to come to a rest the car stay stopped but engine on, press te brake a little harder and the engine powers off.

The stronic, with the auto stop start and the hold assist seem to work as a dream package, less than a second from the lights changing to green the cars engine is on, its in gear, hand brake off and driving away.
    the_lecht_rocks likes this.
  18. Silky-S3

[Jan 7, 2014]
    If you try the VCDS coding and it works let us know so we can add it to the VCDS list. :)
  19. gtiller

gtiller Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Will do, I'll play again on the A6... will have to wait until March for the S3 to arrive :'( Cheers!
  20. Tom75

Tom75 Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I will now after all these comments just keep an eye on this and come back with what I learn.

Thanks everybody for the response.

Regards,
    Tom
  21. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I expect this technology will be part of an MOT test in the near future...
  22. h5djr

[Jan 8, 2014]
    If it does become part of the MOT the best option would be to purchase the module from Kufatec that I referred to in post #15 of this thread. It costs £30.00, just plugs in to OBD port and can be removed for the MOT and then put back after. Just a 2 minute job.
    cuke2u likes this.
  23. cemerson

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I don't really understand why it's a big deal, what's wrong with stop/start being there?

I'm also not sure how it can be tested in an MOT because the car often has valid reasons for not doing it (DPF regen, engine not warmed up, battery level not high enough, heaters on, etc etc), so they couldn't say that the system has failed just by it not happening when they try it.
  24. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I am sure that the testers will be briefed upon all of that before hand...
  25. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    It seems like
    '' if it came from the factory with it, it needs to be there and working ''

I'm curious about all the DPFs that have been removed - and how owners, possible not the people that removed them, will respond to the Failure notification!
  26. h5djr

[Jan 8, 2014]
    With manual transmission it is not really a problem. With an 8P and most other Audi models with s-tronic you have to keep your food on the brake pedal to prevent the engine from starting again. This is not too bad during the day but at night it means your brake lights are 'blinding' the driver behind. When I was taught to drive in the years when driving manners were also taught this was always regarded as bad manners and to use the hand brake. A lot of drivers with automatics have always done this and I said if I ever drove an automatic I would not do it.

With the new 8P Audi have changed the system slightly for cars with s-tronic and hold assist. Once you have braked the engine will start automatically when you take your foot off the brake pedal. BUT if you have hold assist switched on the engine will not start until the accelerator is pressed. This is a much better arrangement and should mean it is less annoying.
  27. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    ditto with the manners !

that sounds good.... I hate sitting behind all the brilliant red lights at night - and I bet most of them do not have autos !
  28. cemerson

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Can't say I've ever been 'blinded' sitting behind red lights, I've said in another thread - I find it strange that people find this annoying.
  29. snakehips

snakehips Active Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I do get blinded by brake lights, especially now that they are usually at eye level in modern cars. So I always put the car in N and apply the handbrake so that I can take my foot off the brake. Wish I had HA!
  30. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I also find it a pain being dazzled by brake lights from the car in front when queuing; especially at night and at this time of year with the nights getting dark so early.

Hold Assist doesn't solve the problem as it leaves the brake lights on when functioning. The LED brake lights on S-Line illuminate the people in the car behind as if they were in Amsterdam and you can see the pained expression on their faces....
  31. h5djr

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Perhaps you're just blind anyway!!
  32. AllanG

AllanG Stronic

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Can anyone with s-tronic and Hold Assist confirm that this is correct, as I would find this VERY annoying.
  33. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Confirmed. As I have both Hold Assist & S-Tronic.

It's not annoying to the driver, just the car behind.....
  34. 0B1001001

0B1001001 Active Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    It's also in the highway code that you should take your foot off the brake when stationary (not that I'm whiter than white, just pointing it out!):

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
    Law RVLR reg 27

Glad I've ordered manual :yes:
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  35. Silky-S3

[Jan 8, 2014]
    This is correct. A good feature IMO
  36. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    got to disagree,
    if I use the brakes, stop, pull on handbrake, I take my foot off the brake - (and the brake lights go off) I don't continue to leave my foot on the brake as well - so with Hold Assist ( it puts the brakes on ) why should the brake lights remain on ?
  37. cemerson

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Or perhaps I'm not in the habit of staring straight at things that I think are too bright! Can't say it bothers me really.
  38. cemerson

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Because hold assist doesn't use the handbrake, it effectively holds the foot brake for you without you having to use the pedal.
    Silky-S3 likes this.
  39. h5djr

[Jan 8, 2014]
    On page 95 of the Owner's Manual is a paragraph which reads:
    In certain circumstances, the hold assist transfers the job of holding the vehicle to the parking brake. It does not however, give any indication of what those circumstances might be.
  40. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I thought it held the brakes on by electrically activating the calipers ,via a small motor and a screw thread onto the pads.
    I know there is no longer any type of mechanical 'hand brake ' on these cars - not of the style I and h5djr have been used to for many years .
    What you describe is like the old Line Lock used in Drag Racing back in the 60s 70s etc ? Push the pedal, pull a switch and a valve shuts in the lines holding brake pressure in the lines, thereby continuing to activate the lights ?
  41. cemerson

[Jan 8, 2014]
    I'm sure it does, because I can tell you. It happens when the door opens, the driver's seatbelt comes off, or you turn the ignition off.