problem with radio reception - what to do now?

mark-w2017

Reaction score
hi all. my wife's B6 2.4 cabrio has a problem with the radio. it works on CD fine, but no AM or FM reception. i did a few searches, had a look at the car. on the left hand boot hinge, i found broken wires. bazinga!! i thought, reconnected them - i co-ax and a brown [earth?] and.....well, nothing, still got no radio!
so, am i looking at the module thingy under the boot lid trim? how do i test it before searching the bay of E for a good used one? also, was going to get the head unit out to make sure there's no issues with the connections there, bought some extraction tools from halfords. the very nice young lady said the ones pictured are the correct ones. i beg to differ, i couldn't get them to do anything - do they look right to you??

Make sure your wife's not using a charger of any sort in the cigarette lighter port. I sometimes use a USB power adaptor in mine which kills FM stone dead whenever it's plugged in.

Hi, those are the wrong head unit removal keys, they do sell Audi removal keys in Halfords for £3.99 and they should look like this and make sure you have the radio code before removing all the connectors on the back of the head unit
images

cheers guys. i'll take the removal tools back and get the right ones now i know.:friendly wink:
@ s3tby - nothing plugged into 12v outlets. it has one of those parrot hands free thingies fitted but that's hard wired.

any ideas if i can prove if the module is kaput or not??

bump - any ideas about the module? there's one on e bay for 44 quid but i don't want to replace something that's potentially ok..

i will bet money on the fact its nit the radio or the module. it will most likely be the coax cable going through the boot grommet is broken/breaking.

I have now repaired a dozen of these. Some customers have bought the whole new cable that goes front to back and some I have just foxed the cable already there.

Before buying anything takie apart teh boot etc and you need to check the loom inside the grommet.

done this [replied in the ICE section], but there's still a fault - unless, i suppose, i replace the co-ax completely.

Hi, those are the wrong head unit removal keys, they do sell Audi removal keys in Halfords for £3.99 and they should look like this and make sure you have the radio code before removing all the connectors on the back of the head unit
images
i've got some of these - but how do you get the radio out? pushed them in the slots but still can't work out how to get the unit out...

with mine, once the keys are in, they need to be pulled outwards and it should just slide right out, failing that, just give it a hard pull and jiggly, it will come out

Make sure your wife's not using a charger of any sort in the cigarette lighter port. I sometimes use a USB power adaptor in mine which kills FM stone dead whenever it's plugged in.

VERY interesting you mention this. News to me.

Is this down to RF interference or a power related issue?

I have lost signal in my cabbie but almost down broken Co-Ax cable

Interference. Everything powers in tandem (the radio/CD deck and charger together), but no reception. Just have to listen to CD if the phone wants charge!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrStrange
i will bet money on the fact its nit the radio or the module. it will most likely be the coax cable going through the boot grommet is broken/breaking.

I have now repaired a dozen of these. Some customers have bought the whole new cable that goes front to back and some I have just foxed the cable already there.

Before buying anything takie apart teh boot etc and you need to check the loom inside the grommet.

Thanks for the info. Im convinced also. (Same issue on my cabby)

Are you near London by any chance?

Interference. Everything powers in tandem (the radio/CD deck and charger together), but no reception. Just have to listen to CD if the phone wants charge!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Understood. Thanks for the info

Fixed!
put in a new piece to replace the co-ax cable that was severed and the brown one which seems to be asn earth. result - but not for long. radio city played for 10 seconds until i wiggled the cables and it all went dead again. i chopped a foot length out of the other 2 co-ax - a large and very thin one - soldered all the joints and covered with heat shrink. all seems ok, fingers crossed, radio works fine.

Reactions: DrStrange
Everyone saying about their phones being plugged in is causing issues with their radio, it's a bad earth somewhere along that tracks.