1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Haldex controller or haldex?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Volkswagenization, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Volkswagenization

Volkswagenization New Member

Hi,

I had some problems with the S3 fixed an engine mount that was causing loads of noise.

But was left with a problem that sounded like rear caliper sticking despite fitting new brakes. Took it to the garage who confirmed it was something to do with the 4wd transmission system.

I tried the handbrake on and it still made the noise.

I pulled fuse 31 for haldex controller and the noise went. As soon as I put fuse in the noise comes back.

This leads me to think its the controller.

However I thought if the controller went I would have only 2wd?

I had constant 4wd.

Cheers for any help
  2. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

Normally its the diff itself , my old a3 had a noise problem I'm sure it was the bearings in the diff that were noisy, changing the diff for a used one is the only cure i think.
  3. Volkswagenization

Thanks for the reply.

But if it was the diff or the haldex surely it would make the noise all the time, as the rear wheels will spin the diff and diff side of haldex, engine obviously constantly spins the rest.

So if the noise is only there when the controller is plugged in, is that causing problems controlling the diff.

It sounds like when I go around a corner the passenger side wheel can't spin as fast as all the other four.

Cheers
  4. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Member

An oil change for the haldex won't cost a lot if you can do it yourself, that often cures a shed load of problems, especially dodgy noises coming from the diff. Get it plugged into vcds and check awd and abs modules and see what codes come up then go from there. Problem sovling on the haldex is a ballache but comes down to either an electronic fault in either the pre charge pump or haldex controleer or mechanical fault in the diff itself normally caused by lack of correct servicing.
    Pre-charge pump can be cycled in vcds and codes can be read from the haldex ecu, have a play and see what comes up....
  5. Volkswagenization

Cool cheers. Not had a lot to do with vcds, but currently got a genuine cable so will give it ago. Do I just go into the individual block AWD block and scan for fault codes?
  6. phil miller

phil miller Member

Haldex oil and oil filter is around £35 from TPS
  7. Lavis89

Lavis89 Member

I had some very dodgy noises and vibrations coming from mine, haldex filter + oil (and some labour from Mr miller) fixed it.
    phil miller likes this.
  8. Volkswagenization

Yeah I have no problem doing the oil and filter, just I would of though if it was the diff or haldex it would make the noise all the time.

Will do some scans tomorrow and see what it says. Just hoping I don't need to replace the diff or the haldex.

Cheers
  9. phil miller

phil miller Member

Is it behaving itself now?
  10. Lavis89

Lavis89 Member

The haldex is perfect now. Car isn't running perfectly smooth (running lean) but pretty sure i can hear a air leak from what i reckon is a blown gasket. need a weekend off work to get the parts and start pulling the car apart! but yea, oil filter and new oil made the world of difference, from the sounds it was making and the heavy grinding feeling i thought for sure that it was going to need a new dif/haldex.
  11. Gizmo20VT

Gizmo20VT Member

Changed oil on mine and sorted, My diff seemed to be locking up on full turn under 10km/h
  12. Volkswagenization

Thanks guys! I feel a lot more optimistic now! Will get oil and filter and go from there!