1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with electrics?battery or alternator??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rockstar, Apr 28, 2004.

1. rockstar

rockstar Member

[Apr 28, 2004]
    Hi had some problems withe above,shall begin from the beginning (seems a good place!)

past week or so the car hasnt kicked in when turning the key and seemed sluggish to start,when igintion is turned..sometimes central locking turns on locking everything??!
    Sunday just gone went to start it and wouldnt turn over at all,stereo,lights,wipers,windows etc would work though...

got a jump start with leads and the thing started right away,took it on the motorway for a couple of miles and when i came back managed o get hold of a charger which showed the battery was around 80% charged!!?

Last few days the car has started but seemed sluggish like recently,yesterday when i tried to start the intrument lights seemed to fade a little and the car started,my stereo though had totally lost all its settings (as if battery had been discounted)

anyone any ideas? alternator or battery? (checked levels in battery which are fine,so doesnt need filling)
    a3 is a 98 reg...

help?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. rockstar

rockstar Member

[Apr 29, 2004]
    thanks,aint got a meter to test myself but know a mechanic who will....thanks for the help.
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 29, 2004]
    An easier way to deduce whether it's battery or alternator is to charge up the battery, then leave the car for a few days. If the battery has held the charge then it would point to the alternator, as long as you haven't got something draining it. Voltage will tell you very little as unless the battery is under load, it could still measure 12v and be knackered.
  5. rockstar

rockstar Member

[Apr 29, 2004]
    well the car was dead again this morning! jump started it and managed to get to work,had the battery checked at a garage,fecked! changed for £40 and had alternator checked which is working fine! car starts great again...will no w see if problem stops! only other thing is an electrics fault draining it.....hope not...will wait and see what happens.

thanks all.
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[May 2, 2004]
    Glad you go it sorted.