1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with A3 3.2

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by r8umar, Jan 10, 2013.

1. r8umar

r8umar New Member

Hi all. i am new to this forum and have a problem

basiclly i recently brought an audi a3 from a mate and he said it would not start. i have got the car started but the problem is keeping it running. i replaced the battery and i have power. but the instrument cluster + radio do not come on and when i turn the key it does not crank.

the way i start the car and get everything running is by connecting jump leads from one car to mine but i dont use the positive terminal (Potential Distributor) as it seems dead as if it has no positive charge, so i connect it to a positive point on the fuse box and the car starts and all the interior electrics work. but as soon as i remove the positive terminal the car shuts off.

now i feel the problem is with the positive point (Potential Distributor) because when i connect jump leads to it there is no spark and the car wont receive any power while its connect to that terminal.

any ideas guys?
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

You're going to have to work through each system disconnecting fuses etc to see whats shorting/causing the issues, if battery has been changed, then thats your only option tbh, have you disconnected the alternator temporarily?
  3. r8umar

r8umar New Member

ahh the famous NHN lol thanks for the reply. i have not disconnected the alternator no, but why would you advise this?

also its as if the positive point isnt connected to anything :/ it has no response when connecting the jump leads to it.

i have just been connecting it to the 2 red wired found in the fuse box....there are 2 next to each other but if i touch it on one of the ot dosent start,,but if i touch that one and the one next to it with the jump lead clamp it then starts.

please enlighten me with your knowledge mr NHN!!
  4. r8umar

r8umar New Member

anyone????
  5. Tezrhc

Tezrhc New Member

Hi,did you get it fixed if so what was it.
    I jump started a mates car with my 3.2 and shorted out the red lead which has no fuse (held on by a nut).
    Nothing works except lights unless I connect that lead to a positive,then it's ok.
    I need to find out where that lead connects.
    Thanks Terry.