1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem starting - 1.9 TDi - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by k_performance, Aug 15, 2013.

1. k_performance

k_performance New Member

[Aug 15, 2013]
    Hi Guys! First post so be kind..
    I have a 02 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi (awx engine) and I'm having trouble diagnosing a starting issue I am having with the car. It has 166k miles so it’s expected kind of.

It has got progressively worse over about 6 months, used to be the odd time it would take a little longer cranking but now it’s the opposite, the very odd time it will start on the button! It’s the same if it’s warm or cold just taking a few too many turns to fire up for my liking, and otherwise it drives very well.

I have changed the starter motor and checked the glow plugs and changed 2 which were gone. I also tried some diesel additive to try clear injectors a bit. I tested battery and alternator too and all checks out ok.

I have heard of some coolant temp sensor swapping out sometimes solves it but not sure which one?? Map sensor could also be involved?

Can anyone of any knowledge of these engines point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Adam
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 15, 2013]
    go out and flick your side lights on then start it and let me know how that goes

the headlight switch can develop a fault and it does as you describe
  4. k_performance

k_performance New Member

[Aug 15, 2013]
    Yeah! that worked.. So how do I fix that then?
  5. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 15, 2013]
    When mine dis it I just kept putting the side lights on then after about 3 months of that it starts first time every time without putting them on

Its probably a bad connection in the switch and using it has cleaned it up or something

If it really bugs you replace the switch but that's about 100 notes
  6. k_performance

k_performance New Member

[Aug 15, 2013]
    All makes sense now. I had bought a flashy passat headlight switch to replace the peeling old one a while back, thinking about it might be a copy part.

Thanks anyway!
    Saved me a headache.
    pink.teg likes this.