1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem after driving through flood

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Monsoon, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

[Feb 10, 2009]
    Anyone else affected by the floods? On my journey to work this morning I went through a couple of deep-ish patches of water (even turned round at one particular point as three cars had broken down ahead of me and it looked just too deep to risk).

Anyway, a bit later on in the journey I was in "drive", and suddenly all power went (the car is a 2.0FSI automatic - not DSG). It felt just as if I'd shifted the gear stick to neutral because the engine continued to free rev, but no power was being transferred to the wheels. I coasted to the side of the road (even though still in Drive!) and stopped, and whenever I moved the gear stick from neutral to "drive" or reverse, the whole car lurched violently forward or back - it just did not engage into gear cleanly at all.

Stopped the engine, restarted a couple of minutes later and all was fine! I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what could have been wrong to cause these symptoms? Cheers.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Feb 10, 2009]
    I would suggest that water had got into the electronics. I doubt it got into anywhere mechanical.
  4. A2A6

A2A6 Member

[Feb 10, 2009]
    Be real careful about driving through water. My mate wrote off his Saab 95 by driving through about 8 inches of water. The air intake is down by the bumper and the engine just hoovered it up. Engine was totalled - car was worth about £7k but replacement was uneconomical. A few weeks later I was at exactly the same spot and it was flooded again. Did a U-turn - not even prepared to risk it.

I'm sure someone on here could enlighten us as to where the air intake is for the various Audi models. I think the Renault Espace is another "under the bumper" job.

Paul
  5. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Feb 10, 2009]
    didnt somebody else have a problem with an auto Fsi breaking down after going throught a puddle? IIRC, he replaced a pick up sensor on the flywheel without any luck but after sitting for a week or so it stated fine, guess after drying out completely.
  6. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Feb 10, 2009]
    The intake is on the underside of the airbox, so open the bonnet and have look at where it is, normally just behind the headlight.