Problem after CTS / Thermostat / Coolant change!

barkclark

Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently changed my CTS and Thermostat along with the coolant as my temp never reached higher than 70degrees!

After the change all seemed perfect! For a week and a bit it went straight to 90degrees within 5mins of driving, and I returned a mix of driving over the week at 55mpg, before the change my last £20 returned 36mpg! So, no problems... or so I thought!

Today I drove all the way to work, and back again at the end of the day and the temp gauge didn't even move for 6 out of the 8 mile commute! Then when it did, it wouldn't go over 60-65degrees! Worse than before!! Had a quick look under the bonnet, couldn't see any loose connections etc or any coolant loses!

Whats going on?!

Last edited:
Isn't there a known problem with the little plastic retaining lugs for the stat getting broken during installation? The stat then gets jammed open as the broken bit stops it closing iirc.

I guess the easy check would be the CTS though as it's a bit easier to get at being at the back of the engine. Certainly I solved "cool running / fan running all the time" problems by having it replaced. Can you swop with a known good one to test? The other issue we found was that the connections in the plug to the CTS were a bit corroded - contact cleaner dealt with that.

Isn't there a known problem with the little plastic retaining lugs for the stat getting broken during installation? The stat then gets jammed open as the broken bit stops it closing iirc.

I guess the easy check would be the CTS though as it's a bit easier to get at being at the back of the engine. Certainly I solved "cool running / fan running all the time" problems by having it replaced. Can you swop with a known good one to test? The other issue we found was that the connections in the plug to the CTS were a bit corroded - contact cleaner dealt with that.

Having a look at the CTS, as you say, is the easiest option. I'll give it the once over with contact cleaner and see what happens.

When I changed my CTS, it was a black one that was originally fitted and I was recommended to fit a green one. It didnt the solve my cool running problem but changing the stat did. Would this mean the original CTS wasn't faulty if changing it made no difference?

How would I know if I've broken the plastic lugs on the stat? Would I be able to see / feel them?

To me it sounds more likely to be the stat again!

Look on Ross's thread, he had a picture as it happened to him!
Had a look! Looks like the culprit! How come it worked for a week though? Just a case that it took a bit of time to work it's way into the place where it would jam it?

Ordered more coolant so I can remove the Stat and have a look. Although for a week now my temp gauge hasn't moved, so far I've returned 37mpg towing a caravan, and just now I'm returning 47mpg with a little still left in tank! So mpg hasn't took a hit would this hint towards a certain fault in particular?

Problem solved! Back to 90 again!
18989bdb674ccbed2b65c9ac341005a8.jpg