1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably been posted too

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Tendaimwari, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Tendaimwari

Tendaimwari Member

many times ot mention but my petrol gauge is playing silly buggers. One minute I'm full the next I'm empty and occasionally somewhere in between. Any suggestions? Is it a sensor or gauge problem? It is an intermittent but annoying problem. Thanks in advance

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. starski4578

starski4578 Member

I had my senors checked out and they were ok. Mine only started to play up when i started to use optimax? Don't know why that would effect it....maybe it was cleaning the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif in the tank and dislodged some muck that temporarily effected the sensor!? Anyhow the problem went away after roughly two more tank fulls of optimax and it hasn't resurfaced. I have no idea what the true cause is but it seems a lot of people have suffered the same fault. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

4. macdoug

macdoug Member

hi,

I've been checking out this site for a while now and recently managed to get my hands on an S3.

Must say i'm delighted with it even though the water pumo went on it 5 miles after picking it up.

I was wondering if I should be putting optimax (or similar) in it. Does it cause any harm filling with standard unleaded or would I just be getting supposed power gains from using optimax?

Any thoughts on the matter please.

5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hi and welcome!

The S3 will run on normal unleaded but you won't get the full performance potential its capable of.

Optimax makes a big difference and is usually cheaper than super unleaded (which the car is supposed to run on!).

I would use optimax if I were you, as it seems to give the best results..

6. robthehungrymonkey

Have a look here a thread I posted recently about some of the finds in EVO magazines petrol comparison test, confirms that it's not just in our heads and there are real gains.