1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

private plate advice required.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by ayr_audi_nut, Mar 8, 2011.

1. ayr_audi_nut

ayr_audi_nut Member

[Mar 8, 2011]
    Hi there Folks, im have my private plate on the TTs just now, in around 10 days im picking up my new A1....do i have to put the plate on retention now and then transfer over when i get the new A1 paperwork? hate giving the dvla a penny more than i need to......any ideas on how to keep the cost down, or am i shafted either way lol.

p.s not that bothered about driving the new car out with the private plate on!! Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. scott b

scott b Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 8, 2011]
    if your not trading the tt in then wait till you have the a1 then get the plate transfered, or ask the dealer to sort it out for you (at your cost think around £120)
  4. ayr_audi_nut

ayr_audi_nut Member

[Mar 8, 2011]
    yeah, Trading it in mate. will get onto the dealer. Many thanks
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 8, 2011]
    It's £80 to transfer your plate directly from your car to the new A1, and the dealer should not charge you a penny more. You need to give them your V5C, valid MOT and proof of insurance for the A1 for them to do it. They might require it a few days in advance, need to ask them.
  6. tku

tku Member

[Mar 8, 2011]
    Yep. He is right!

I have just bought new car picking up on friday and had private plate on the current car. Dealer has charged me £80 but has told me it will take a few weeks. Basically said the same, if I take it off now will cost £120 as someone has mentioned or he will change it for me for the 80...just sent V5 today and that was it. He already had insurance from 7 day free driveaway. Anyway, all the best,everyone is correct!