1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Number plate questions

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ash187, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Ads

Ads License to drive

I like plain plates. But if there has to be a logo then the only one that looks ok to me is the blue GB one.

But i'd go for plain pressed.

By the way, are you going to this ace cafe meet in a few sundays time?

4. Ash187

Yh the plain pressed look good, that link i put up for the audi edges also makes plates so could get it done by him with the audi bit on the left edge, and the right edge would be cut closer to the letters with about 14mm gap so its legal.

i will try and make that Ace Cafe meet... still not sure cos the car has that ugly dent :(

5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

I agree. They look silly and are totally illegal. Whats the point of laying yourself open to a fine and possible loss of the right to use the number just for silly symbols.

Pressed plates can be used providing they meet all the normal requirements including the display of the BS code showing they meet the British Standard AU 145d for number plates and the makers name and post code.

#44 h5djr, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. Ads

Ads License to drive

Don't worry about that. My car has suspension like a moon buggy but i'm still going!

7. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

I always used no1showplates but they have shut down

8. Ash187

ok so to mix it up a little more...
    pressed plates:
    [​IMG]

or resin domed plates:
    [​IMG]

???

9. Ads

Ads License to drive

Pressed plates. And seeing that merc logo...... NO LOGO!!!

10. Ash187

:(

11. Ads

Ads License to drive

Sorry, but its for your own good.

12. Ash187

:friends:

13. Ads

Ads License to drive

:thumbsup:

14. quattro81

quattro81 All the gear.. No idea

You can get the gb euro thing in black instead of blue too..that's still legal (and what I went for) and looks smart on a black car.. Tbh with all this worrying bout the filth, it depends on the copper.. But I had "sorry orifficer" on the bottom of my quad and they weren't impressed but it made my dy lol

15. Adam.

Adam. Meow.

Clean 5 digit made to order with no screws mmmmm. Anything else just looks whack imo.

[​IMG]

16. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Too small to tell from the photo but do the plates have the makers name and post code and the BS145d on them. If not they may look nice but are still illegal.

17. Adam.

Adam. Meow.

Nope. Got pulled regularly in that car and never had any hassle. One traffic officer said they ain't spaced dodgy and ain't gonna kill anyone so it won't achieve anything making a hoohaa about it. :scared2:

18. Sarah's A3

Sarah's A3 MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
    Staff Member Moderator

Deffo pressed plates all the way. I loved mine to bits. As tempting as it is, if your cars heavily modded you are tempting fate to start messing with spacing.

Luckily for me over here we can have ANYTHING!!!! The plates can be tiny too, and I mean small!!!!! I now have private plates, pressed in black with white writing that are loads smaller than UK ones!! They look awsome. And Daves are even smaller!!!!!!

19. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

May be not, but it would fail an MOT, assuming you keep the car long enough to need one.

20. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of my rear plate. Quite plain and legal. No visable fixings and no number plate surround. I decided to go for a full size plate as I wanted the blue EU/GB flash because I take my car to mainland Europe several times a year and didn't want to have to worry about a GB plate.

[​IMG]

21. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

My mate's got "L NLLL" spacing on a "LN LLL" plate (letter, number, 3x letters), only been pulled once for it. They said he had to get an MOT centre to sign off saying he'd sorted the spacing, no fine or points or anything. He's got the proper legal plates in the boot most of the time but the MOT guy just said he'd sign it anyway... no skin off his back. Mate went to the station to hand in the signed letter thing with the plates still as "L NLLL" and they said nothing. Saying that, a girl I know has "LN LLL" spaced as "LNL LL" and that seems to get noticed more. Not sure why, maybe just unlucky.

I heard/read somewhere that the spacing was set so the ANPR cameras could read the plate properly... but having the wrong spacing can confuse them? Seems a pretty useless system if they're that easily beaten. I understand having set fonts and point-size, but the spacing shouldn't be an issue.

22. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. Ash187

ok so i went and bought my private reg today for a whopping £255! got it from the DVLA website as the New Reg site make you buy a set of plates from them for £25.50 and then the cheeky sods try to make you pay them to do the transfer to your vehicle which is actually free if i go and do it myself!

Now 2 questions...
    1. when the forms come through do i have to go to a local DVLA office or can i get the transfer done at the post office?
    2. Should i get pressed plates or shortened acrylic plates? i can't seem to find pressed shortened plates anywhere! I still want the spacing to be 'XXXX X' so i know i need to get a 'show plate' for this. I also want the plates to be reflective (dont want to give the cops every reason to pull me over) so does anyone know where i can source them from or know of a good trusting company that can do this for me?

thanks

24. Ash187

:sign_pics:

25. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

It's a trip to the DVLA Local Office I'm afraid. Or you could post your stuff off, but that'll take 2 weeks. It's a pain, but not as bad as my experience:
    I've got a pair of matching plates and wanted to get one taken off a show car I never really use and put on the Audi. Turned out that as I hadn't taxed it for over 12 months (it's declared SORN) I had to present it to them for inspection. Total pain in the backside as I had to hire a transporter and take a day off work just for them to look at the chassis number. The car was too low to get off the transporter at the DVLA without taking the bumpers off and they almost sent me away as they wouldn't step up onto the back of the transporter because of health and safety. Just make sure you have every bit of paperwork you own with you, or they'll just send you away. They seem to like doing that.

26. Ash187

oh well... looks like i have to trek up to the idiots offices... seriously that company is run by some real plonkers!

so excited though... my first private plate! :)

27. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)
    Team Silver Audi S3 Audi Sport Owner Group

Nice one Ash, I just went today to the local DVLA office to get ours changed over, it was brilliant, 15mins and all done, new MOT, new Tax Disc and he just said to call Insurance and let them know that the plates changed and they will send out new paperwork for the car with the new number plate.

The new log book will come in about 4 weeks, I just need to get the plates made now and fitted to the car :)

Also very excited as its my 1st private plate too :)

28. Wizza

Wizza BUœBENGRO–PEN

This!

29. quattro81

quattro81 All the gear.. No idea

Sweeeeet! I know some people hate private plates... But I love em! Even the really stoopid ones.. Are you happy with your reg you got in the end mate?.. Cos if not "A L04FER" is available!!

30. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

Bloody Admiral charged me a £17.50 'admin fee' when I told them about my new plate. Don't get me started on insurance costs again!

31. Adam.

Adam. Meow.

Remember you also need to let the finance company know if you change the plate ;)

32. Ash187

Yh my plate is pretty much what i wanted, well i can't really complain since i only paid £255 :yahoo:

33. Nilz

Im with Admiral too and they are also stating 17.50 to change the plate, its ridiculous, i told them dont bother sending any paperwork out, just mail me and ill print it myself, but they said no not allowed, first she said its to cover postage, then she says its to pay the person that makes the change!!!

Man get me a job there, 17.50 to retype 7 letters!!!

No wander our insurance is so high, with ridiculous charges like this!!

34. J8TT X

J8TT X Member

Im with Admiral, had to pay the £17.50 charge aswell.

:mad:

35. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

Don't bother with their multicar policy either. They kept pushing for me to have a quote and it turned out £200 more expensive. They even kept trying to talk me into after that. As if I'm going to pay £200 extra no for reason.

36. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

Sorry. Went a bit off topic there because of the rage.

37. Nilz

As we are off topic....the multicar has worked out really well for me, im paying for both cars on Admiral, what I was getting quoted for just my S3!!

38. paulsaudi

paulsaudi Member

Im with Admiral with a multicar policy and i have never paid £17.50 to swap plate details

Why you ask.....................

I always say "there's a note on the system not to charge me" after 2 min they overide it and charge me nothing :)

And trust me i have done this around 5 times in 9 months as i was swapping and changing cars untill i finally settled with my A4

The multi car saves us around £300 t0 be fair, nobody can come close.

Also i have my plate space P40L WK should be P40 LWK never had a problem with it yet ;) touch wood lol

Paid £245 form DVLA all in, and ordered plates from eBay £10 for the pair.

[​IMG]

39. Ash187

So its been 2 days since i bought the reg direct from the DVLA and today i already have the registration documents :)
    going to try and find some time to go up to the local DVLA office and get the reg transferred... the plates are already in the post :ninja:

40. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

How about keeping a set of correct (boring) legal plates in the car and if Plod pulls you offer to fit 'proper' plates there and then. You could always say you were off to a car show and had forgotten the naughty plates were on. Consider that messing with the digits is to some a tad tacky and not worthy of an Audi, a teenage owned Corsa or Saxo yes.

41. Ash187

yh i was thinking of having some 'standard' plates in the car just in case and certainly for MOT purpose.
    as for the letter spacing... i am doing it cos it spells my name properly with the space :)

42. Nilz

Ash where did you get your plates from mate??

As in the ones that are actually going on the car??