1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Messaging Conversation Style

Boydie Sep 23, 2009

1. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

Admin,

I know on the latest version of vbulletin you can view your pm's as a conversation.

i.e. the person who pm'd you, their pm is directly below your reply so you can see what they have said instead of you trying to remember - kind of like an iphone text application

Is this possible with your verision of VB?

Would be mighty handy if you are trying to negotiate a sale.

Thanks

2. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

When you reply to a message the message you're replying to is automatically quoted, along with all past quotes. It's always been that way.

When I have a PM conversation I always leave the quotes in and type my reply above. I'd forget the conversation otherwise. Everyone else I have PMd has done the same back to me too.

Have you found otherwise mate?

3. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

'Threaded' PMs can be done, but it's a hack/modification, and not vB standard code. I saw it but haven't given it a test as yet because as Staz's reply above, other than slightly different formatting, it doesn't seem to offer much over the standard 'quoting' of messages; and I'd much rather extra processing which is to be done on what is quite a busy server yield bigger benefits.

I'll have a closer look at it this week and report back findings and opinions following a 'dry run'...

Cheers,

Rob.

4. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

Mine quote but think the other way is much tidier looking and a lot of the time, people answer the questions inside the quote that you have just asked which messes up the brackets