1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Privacy Glass on S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by normski, Mar 3, 2007.

1. normski

normski Member

[Mar 3, 2007]
    Has anyone managed to spec privacy glass on their new S3?

There are a few people mentioning it here and there, but it only seems to be an option on the Sportback.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[Mar 3, 2007]
    I do not have anything to hide!! so no privacy/dark tinted windows on my S3...

Pedro
  4. Trev241

Trev241 Member

[Mar 3, 2007]
    I think privacy glass spoils the look of the S3, looks more like a van.
    Whats everyone else think ?
  5. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[Mar 3, 2007]
    I don't like privacy glass or dark tinted windows, but. hey, it's a personal choice! It just looks too much tuning for me... For me it would spoil my, already black, S3...

Pedro
  6. normski

normski Member

[Mar 3, 2007]
    Whilst I am not averse to everyones opinion differing from mine, does anyone know the answer to the original post?

Cheers
  7. cjp2k

cjp2k Member

[Mar 3, 2007]
    Audi Tyneside had a Orange S3 with really dark rear tints in their showroom on Thursday when I picked up my Sportback didnt like it myself!
  8. normski

normski Member

[Mar 3, 2007]
    Horses for courses really, and I think it is better on some colours than other for sure.

My mate currently has a MkIV black Golf Gti 3dr on 18" RS4's and has rediculously dark glass from the b-pillar back, and slightly lighter and possibly almost legal tint forward of the b-pillar.

It looks complete class in my opinion, without even a hint of boy racerness (we are both 35 now and not getting any younger).

To be honest with two tone leather seats it would be a shame to hide the back, I was just hoping to find a pic of factory fitted p.g. on an S3 so I could decide either way.
  9. Tommy1finger

Tommy1finger Member

[Mar 3, 2007]
    Depending on what color your car is and where you live tinted windows can be very functional by reducing the temperature inside your car on hot summer days. That's usually my first mod when I buy a car. I haven't had my A3 in the summer yet, but according to other A3 owners the AC is not as effective as in some other cars. If you live in a warmer climate you almost have to get your windows tinted. My car is black with open sky, leather seats, no fun when it's 100F outside.
  10. TTLAW

TTLAW Member

[Mar 4, 2007]
    I did not spec my car it was a showroom model but it does have factory fitted tints.

I think they are around £300 on the invoice. I would not spec them myself but they don't look too bad.

Steve
  11. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[Mar 4, 2007]
    My A3 has factory fitted tinted glass and i think along with the factory fitted silver mirrors it really sets the car off especially if the car is black

The option is not on the options list for some odd reason though
  12. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[Mar 4, 2007]
    It's easy to find a company to tint the windows for you; just ask your Audi dealer. I know of Mercedes dealers who regularly use certain local companies to tint their used cars, where privacy glass wasn't originally specified, and Audi dealers will be the same I'm sure.
  13. normski

normski Member

[Mar 4, 2007]
    I have a mate who does it for a living, and it is so good that you cannot tell it isn't part of the glass because the edges get filed down etc. and it's a really pro job, but you can scratch it.

I am assuming that the factory fit stuff is actual tinted glass, and although I can only find it on the Sportback price list, it isn't much more than having film applied.